U.S.
The Tale of Banners Whitelist Application:

Section 1/4 - Out of Character Information

Minecraft Username(s):

-ElleLikeL

Full UUID for your MineCraft account(s) (Found here):

-87073e35-fd46-46e0-ae62-a90ded387c0d

What is your age?
(We need to know this as our server has an age restriction)

Have you read the server rules? (Found here)

-Yes

Do you agree with the server rules?

-Yes

How did you hear about Tale of Banners?

-A Minecraft voting site.

Do you have any previous roleplay experience?
(Please give examples, no experience is acceptable)

-Not much. I've played a few games where roleplay is possible, but very rare.

Additional Information: (If any)

-I've never roleplayed on Minecraft so I'm quite new to this.
Section 2/4 - Terms & Definitions

Please answer these definitions using your own words, the definitions may be researched however not plagiarized (copy-pasted).

What do you define as roleplaying?

-Creating a character and living in a world through their eyes.

Describe the term ‘powergaming’ in your own words:

-'Powergaming' is using an in-game system or mechanic to to give you an unrealistic/unfair advantage in the game. For example, giving your character god-like powers that wouldn't normally fit within the world.
Describe the term ‘metagaming’ in your own words:

-'Metagaming' is using information you gathered OOC'ly and using it to your advantage in-game. For example, say someone has planned to kill off your character at a certain place and place. You've discovered this info OOC'ly and you know make your character avoid this time and place.

What is a "Mary-Sue" character?

-A 'Mary-Sue' character is someone who is perfect or without flaws. So much so that it feels unnatural. An example would be where an author would create the idealized version of themselves.

What does the abbreviation ‘OOC’ mean & when should this be used?

-It means Out of Character and can be used when chatting with a friend without necessarily roleplaying.
Section 3/4 - Character Creation

Here you will create an example character that could exist in the server’s history and lore.

Provide us with an in-game screenshot of your character’s skin.

1594334173760.jpeg

Name:
-Anne Dwells

Culture:

-Northener

Can your character read and write?:

-Yes

Story & Biography (please go into detail, we recommend two paragraphs but expect at least one. Please outline character history, personality traits and the things that make your character unique. Have fun with this section!)

(Please note although the character you apply with can commit illegal or immoral acts you cannot do these things on the server without an Intrigue application. This can be applied for once you are whitelisted.) Found here:

https://taleofbanners.com/forum/forums/intrigue-application.119/ (Intrigue Application)
(You are also able to apply with a noble but keep in mind you cannot play a noble character on the server unless you join an accepted noble house or apply for one.) Found here:

https://taleofbanners.com/forum/forums/noble-houses.142/ (Noble Houses)
Anne Dwells is the daughter of a very skilled smith and his wife. She grew up learning how to make tools with her father and learning how to read and write with her mother. She often thought of a particular lesson on Valdarr. Anne was fascinated with it's history and how it went from a bustling city to ruins, and to a city once more. She often dreamed if she would ever get to visit it herself. She was perfectly content in her little world. All of her thoughts were of only good things, like how much she loved her parents and how the baker always smuggled her a piece of bread when her mother wasn't looking. Her parents' hopes were that she would one day follow in their footsteps and find a good husband to settle down with. On a seemingly normal day, Anne was outside playing in the snow when she suddenly heard screams so loud she thought they might burst her ears! She ran off, startled by the loud noises, and hid in a nearby forest. After an hour of waiting to see what would happen next, she slowly crept back to her home and nearly fainted at the sight. Her mother lie dead on the floor, a large gash on her neck. She ran to town square, afraid of what she might find. She was horrified by the sight. Bodies, everywhere. It looked as if everyone had just dropped dead during their morning routines. When she inspected a body, she noticed that it too had a long gash across it's next. She inspected another one. Another gash. And another, and another. She had heard tales of the bandits that roamed just outside her village. She never knew they could be so heartless. A clink sounds across a building. She stopped in her tracks. Against her better judgement, she inches closer. Three, no, four bandits are raiding her favorite bakery. She quickly backs away to where they can't see her. Her breathing slows. She needs to get out of there. She runs back home as quietly as she can, gathers a bit of food, a satchel, and her fathers axe, and runs off into the woods.

Anne raised herself in those woods, hunting with her father's axe, using the skills her mother taught her to cook. She led as best a life as she could, given her circumstances. She was content with her life. She tried to ignore what was in her past, hoping it would eventually fade away into nothing but a faint memory, but every night she was haunted with the image of her mother on the floor. Anne lived a life of loneliness and solitude, afraid that if she ever became close to someone again, they too would get hurt. She fashioned clothes out animal hide and kept herself warm by burning dry wood. Anne slept on a bed of pine needles and used her satchel as a pillow. She often times went into a small village to upgrade weapon, or chatting with the townsfolk. On a particular morning, she was chatting with a baker from whom she'd just purchased a loaf of bread from. The topic of Valdarr came up and Anna suddenly remembered her forgotten childhood dream of visiting the city. She dismissed the thought and said goodbye to the baker. Anne earned her money by being an assassin for hire. She picked up a bow not too long ago, growing bored of her axe. She practiced by targeting her dinner, and she became quite good at it. Anne's bowing skills lead her to be a very popular choice when hiring an assassin in the Northern region. People hired her to kill old foes, someone who insulted them, or even groups of people as a whole. With this job, her life became increasingly less difficult. At one point, she even bought a horse to travel back and forth between the Korsian region and the Northern region. She sold things like spare rabbit hide, extra meat, or her services. She would sell a merchant her horse as she spent a month or so in each region every time she did this, and couldn't feed herself and a horse. On a normal evening, she was returning her horse to a merchant when he paused his conversation about Valdarr. One of her favorite memories came back to her that evening. She was sitting on the floor, looking up at her mother as she tried to teach Anne about Valdarr. Anne remembered that it was always her dream to visit the lively city when she was older. That is, until the.... 'accident'. With my life as it is, Anne thought, it is entirely possible that I can travel to Valdarr and fulfill that dream. It would take enormous amounts of effort, yes, but still very possible. Anne may have had a better life in terms of money and food than before, but she was incredibly lonely. She wanted a friend, but was also afraid of what would happen if she made one. She was afraid that if she got too attached to someone, they too would suffer a fate much like her parents'. Alas, she continues her days traveling back and forth between regions, being an assassin up for hire, and planning her adventure to the city of Valdarr.
Section 4/4 - Open-ended questions
Please answer at least three of the questions to show how your character would interact with the world. Delete the spares (if applicable). Please include at least one paragraph for each question you answer.

Question 1

You stumble outside into the open air after some heavy drinking in an Oserian tavern. Just before you're about to pass an alleyway, a hooded man rushes out of it and runs for it - seemingly, he has both a blade and some jewellery on him. You take a quick peek in the alleyway to see a feminine figure collapsed on the ground, holding her hands over a bleeding wound in her torso. The thief is about to escape and the woman seems in critical condition. You...

- I look left and right for any signs of help, but I see none. I rush over and tear off my jacket to use as a blood rag. I'm freezing, yes, but at least I can help this woman live another day. I tie the jacket around her torso and pick her up to get her to a better place to then treat her wounds.

Question 2

You are on your way to the Korsian city of Telth to sell some wares. Upon reaching the front gates you are stopped by the guard. They deny you entry for the time being as the traffic into the city is too high. You are effectively forced to wait in the refugee camp located between the two gates for the time being. The camp is
filled with shopping stalls and refugees sleeping on the floor. How do you spend your time in the camp?

-I windowshop, admiring all of the pretty things the merchants are selling. Maybe chat with a few people, get to know them. Walk around, enjoy the scenery. Maybe even find a way to sneak into the city myself, if I'm desperate enough.

Question 3

You've gotten lost and wandered awhile into Drahl lands, eventually finding yourself in Crookmire Swamp, where you decide to settle for the night. Finding a meal to buy for the evening takes some effort, but you do come across an old crone in ragged clothing, who offers to sell you some sea-looking food. She doesn't ask much, but warns you that eating it is 'unpleasant' to outsiders. You...

-Accept. Although it is very likely it'll end up all over the floor tomorrow morning, I'm willing to take that chance if it means going to bed without a hungry stomach. It'd be the last thing I needed.

Question 4

In the midst of battle, you find yourself approaching a wounded enemy soldier. The soldier is on the floor, clearly in terror as they cradle one of the dead. Enemy forces begin to advance in the distance and you know you have to act fast. The soldier then grasps at a cloth and removes it from the dead soldiers pocket. They continue to cry, and starts calling the dead soldier's name in despair. Then the soldier glances up to see you - with your weapon up - but does not care of your approach, continuing to cradle the dead soldier. You…

-I don't know how to feel about the soldier. I don't know how to comfort them, or if I even want to. With so much going on, it's hard to think about this one soldier. Without much time to think about it, I give them the supplies they need to live and carry on fighting the battle.
Question 5

You have wandered across a seemingly endless tundra for what have felt like days. A raging snowstorm makes you unable to see more than a few metres ahead. Being almost out of resources, you are delighted to find out that you have stumbled your way to a village. Upon closer inspection you find out it's a Northern village, and the residents are not very friendly towards strangers. What do you do in this dire situation?

-I explain my situation situation, praying that the would help a fellow Northerner. Begging, almost. I'm tired, hungry, and scared. If they don't let me in, I don't know what I'll do. Freeze in the tundra? Die of starvation? Collapse of exhaust? I hope to never find the answer.

Last edited:

Verando

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Application Team
Lore Team
Sep 21, 2017
United States

You’re almost there! Your application is pending.

There are only a few things to change for a final decision.

Make the following edits to your application:

1. Your powergaming definition is slightly lacking. Please review other sources for your definition in the context of a multiple character roleplay scenario.

2. Your mary-sue definition is a little short. Please review other sources or contact us for assistance.

3. Your bio uses little of the server lore apart from mentioning the north and korsia. I'd recommend reading into the server lore on Valdarr, Norvaskr, and bandit groups, to see if you can come up with something interesting! This isn't 100% neccessary but can make for a more dynamic character.

4. Your first answer to the questions is excellent! Beyond the first, they are all fairly short and don't go into detail. Try to paint me a picture, or act as if you were in a multiplayer RP scenario.

The character is certainly interesting! With only a tiny bit more effort they could be even better! Make these edits and you will be permitted easily.

Once that is done, make a comment affirming you have made these changes and your application will be reviewed again as soon as possible.

Good luck!

ElleLikeL

Jul 9, 2020
U.S.
Ahh, thank you so much for the pointers. I've made all of the edits except one. I'm unsure on where to find the lore on Valdarr, Norvaskr, and the bandit groups. If you could point me in the right direction that'd be absolutely fantastic.

Verando

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Application Team
Lore Team
Sep 21, 2017
United States

Congratulations! Your application has been approved.

You will now be whitelisted on the server.

Your open ended questions are a little on the short side, but sufficient enough.

All in all an excellent application with a good background.

Make sure to take some last peeks at relevant information and guides.

You can use ToB’s Discord for communication and questions! You will find me and other whitelisters there too, ready to teach you the ropes.