Jun 9, 2020
Canada, Quebec
Section 1/4 - Out of Character Information

Minecraft Username(s):

- Faeborn

Full UUID :

- b6cd4a5a-8ff3-43f2-b14b-d1d722d810fa

What is your age?

Have you read the server rules? (Found here)

- I have, yes.

Do you agree with the server rules?

- Wholeheartedly

How did you hear about Tale of Banners?

- Google told me

Do you have any previous roleplay experience?

- Plenty. I've been playing tabletop RPG's for 14 years (Ooof), larping for 9 years and roleplaying online for a while. I have experience on minecraft RP servers as well.

Additional Information: (If any)

- French is my first language. I'm not so good with understanding botched text, cultural cues, expressions and such. I'm also not quite good at expressing emotions when I'm chatting! If I sound cold, it is purely accidental.

Section 2/4 - Terms & Definitions

What do you define as roleplaying?

- The act of incarnating a character within a set world and portraying its actions, reactions and emotions inside that world with other players. Unlike a video game, a player's character should always be viewed as an accessory to the story and never the protagonist. Roleplay thrives when the community stops playing for itself.

Describe the term ‘powergaming’ in your own words:

- The act of undertaking specific actions in the sole purpose of gaining an advantage over a challenge. Playing to win, with no consideration of any other aspect of the game such as character realism, relation and common sense.

Describe the term ‘metagaming’ in your own words:

- To apply any form of knowledge to a scene or character with no real justification or explanation. I've found that this applies a lot in medical RP, where people roleplay out procedures inappropriate to the time. Examples would be cardiovascular massages, knowledge of hormones, neurons, surgery, blood types. It's an enormous danger zone. The same can be applied to pretty much any form of roleplaying, and can be as casual as simply knowing everything that's been made available on the forum. Serfs are no experts in foreign nation cultures.

What is a "Mary-Sue" character?

- What I planned on playing
A Mary-Sue character is the ultimate story protagonist. Rich, charismatic, enigmatic, auspicious, intellectually gifted and owner of a terrible dark secret ; the Mary sue is a common mistake by new roleplayers. The cliché is usually annoying to other roleplayers and should be avoided in roleplaying communities.

What does the abbreviation ‘OOC’ mean & when should this be used?
- Out of Character. OOC should be used when engaging in discussion or banter outside of character or to clarify an information in-game. It's not commonly used in RP and is more a form of communication between players.

Section 3/4 - Character Creation

Provide us with an in-game screenshot of your character’s skin.

- I'll do you one better

Name:

- Mara-Lee Chabot

Culture:

- Drahl

Can your character read and write?:

- She knows a few military words and symbols. Not enough to read a book, but enough to make sense of an intercepted report.

Story & Biography
Thwip... Ting!
The cheers of twenty or so spectators drown out the raging shouts of a teenager. An adult stands up from a rocking chair on one of the three overlooking balconies and walks down the stairs to get to the center. On the same balcony, a young girl shouts excitedly. "That's eight out of ten! Twice as much as Vaughn!"
The sore loser, drowned out by the merry hues of that last shot has retreated to the side of the balcony, hopping on a barrel with arms crossed and a rage-induced twitch on his upper lip. He clenched his training bow, almost to the point of breaking the glorified bent branch. He'd hear about the contest for a while and he knew it. Such was the banter of their small village.
The man arrived by the girl, three years younger than her brother, the other competitor. Some twelve yards further, the iron-helmed scarecrow laid immobile, dents in its headgear and wooden sticks embedded deep in its body. Mara, the girl, was still staring at the target. Her bow was on the ground and she was absent-mindedly rubbing her chaffed forearm. Her father set his hand upon Mara-Lee's head and messed with her hair. "That's my girl." He said, congratulating her in his own way. He turned to the houses.
"Alright! That's enough rest for today. Wills, go get our unwilling guest. Dana, Rhorst, go pack up what the wives prepared. Vaughn. Swallow your pride, shake your sister's hand and go get your good bow. We're leaving at mid-day. I want to catch that convoy at the dead of night."

A man, shackled and bearing nothing but an Orisian tabard was dragged out from one of the houses. He looked exhausted and blood had caked over his whole left arm. He didn't have the energy to observe his surroundings or engage in any meaningful conversation. Most adults sitting in the crowd had started picking up bags, kissing relatives goodbye. They started singing a hunting song, the mighty fine smell of a good haul lifting up everyone's spirits. If it was to succeed... They'd spend a very comfortable winter.

They did not, in fact, have a very comfortable winter.

-----

It has been eight years since the departure. The Chabot household is barely holding on its own. The two houses nearby have been deserted a few summers ago. Mara-Lee entered the house holding a young hare and a musked rat at the end of a rope. She hung out her bow and her cloak right by the dusty cloaks of Vaughn and her father. She'd tried to remove them before, but her mother clung to them as if they'd make them come back one day. Perhaps they'd be cold. And their cloak would be there. With a sigh, Mara dropped the skinny animals on the table. The whole place reeked of incense, burnt herbs, mouldy poultices and rodent excrement. Mara would start telling her day out loud. She'd been to the well and barely could fill her bottle halfway. She'd tell how she had caught a beaver too, but a coyote had beat her to it. She'd look over her prey and say how weak and docile they had been until their last moment. Even nature had given up.

Mara continued for a few minutes before suddenly going silent and immobile. "Mother?" She called out, bending backwards to look through the door to her room. Going silent, Mara approached the door with careful steps. She muttered to Tsara as she pushed the door. She knew. She knew what was behind it. But she prayed. Prayed that she'd be proven wrong. In vain.

On the bed laid her mother, surrounded by some fifty vials, incense burners, candles and bowls. She was pale. Her mouth was coaxed with blood. One of her hand held to her own neck while the other ones had gripped the sheets under her. Mara looked down and gave up a deep sigh. She closed the door and started packing two bags. thirty minutes later, bow, arrows, clothes, bedrolls, sheets, herbs and two or three sentimental trinkets had been packed in both bags. She headed outside, reaching for her cloak. She hesitated a second, and instead picked her father's. She closed the homestead's door for the last time as she headed into the woods to find her sister.

It didn't take too long. Kneeling next to a patch of herbs, Flor was gathering diligently for unneeded medicine though that didn't stop her from noticing the footsteps behind. She turned and her heart gripped when she saw both bags. The conversation had not even started that it was over and Mara had a very convincing argument. The gatherer walked up to the bag, picked it up and slung it over her shoulders. Unfortunately for her, the hunter had trained eyes, and was quick to spot soft pink stains on her forearms. The corner of Flor's lips were slightly more colored than usual. Mara took hold of her sister's sleeve and stared at her sister. One more unspoken conversation and a nail driven further in the morale of the two orphans. Mara adjusted her bag and released her sister, leading the march to the capital city.

-----

Seven years later, Mara-Lee is traveling alone. She knows archery, hunting and how to apply basic herbs. She has no coins with her and no notable possessions save for her health. Perhaps the future would lead her to live a life of banditry like her father's. She has, after all, accomplished a few jobs here and there. Or perhaps fate would smile and open doors long closed to her. Time would tell.

Section 4/4 - Open-ended questions
Please answer at least three of the questions to show how your character would interact with the world. Delete the spares (if applicable). Please include at least one paragraph for each question you answer.

Question 1

You stumble outside into the open air after some heavy drinking in an Oserian tavern. Just before you're about to pass an alleyway, a hooded man rushes out of it and runs for it - seemingly, he has both a blade and some jewelry on him. You take a quick peek in the alleyway to see a feminine figure collapsed on the ground, holding her hands over a bleeding wound in her torso. The thief is about to escape and the woman seems in critical condition. You...

- Mara moves to the side opposite to the blade to avoid the escaping criminal. She shows up her hands to signify she means no harm though her visage remains serious. With the bandit dashing past her, Mara makes way to the lady. Kneeling next to her, she tears a piece of the noblelady's garment to push on the gaping wounds. "Guards. Should I call for them?" The archer awaited a reply before complying. Who knows. Perhaps there'd be a few coins in for her.

Question 2

You are on your way to the Korsian city of Telth to sell some wares. Upon reaching the front gates you are stopped by the guard. They deny you entry for the time being as the traffic into the city is too high. You are effectively forced to wait in the refugee camp located between the two gates for the time being. The camp is
filled with shopping stalls and refugees sleeping on the floor. How do you spend your time in the camp?

- With wares to sell and no time to wait, Mara finds a clear spot by a passing street. She puts her cape to the ground and begins selling her furs and ointments. The faster she'd clear these, the faster she'd be home and stocked for winter.

Question 5

You have wandered across a seemingly endless tundra for what have felt like days. A raging snowstorm makes you unable to see more than a few metres ahead. Being almost out of resources, you are delighted to find out that you have stumbled your way to a village. Upon closer inspection you find out it's a Northern village, and the residents are not very friendly towards strangers. What do you do in this dire situation?

- With Mara-Lee, mistrust is immediately met by mistrust. She had no intentions of lingering longer than needed. She had no need to prove herself or her worth to any northmen nor did she feel the desire to. She'd approach the inn or, if none existed in the village, any large house. She'd offer coin in exchange for lodging and food until the weather cleared. She was even willing to work for it. She'd get refusal after refusal but that didn't make a difference. Each house would have a talk with her if needed. Ultimately... There was always the possibility of finding refuge with the horses. Or perhaps, if there was an old widow living alone. She'd be hard pressed to refuse the presence of such an esteemed guest.

Verando

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Application Team
Lore Team
Sep 21, 2017
United States

Congratulations! Your application has been approved.

You will now be whitelisted on the server.

Only one word.... Really Excellent!

Make sure to take some last peeks at relevant information and guides.

You can use ToB’s Discord for communication and questions! You will find me and other whitelisters there too, ready to teach you the ropes.

Status
Not open for further replies.