ACCEPTED - Kalbi's Whitelist Application | Tale of Banners Roleplaying Community Forum

ACCEPTED Kalbi's Whitelist Application

Kalbi

Aug 1, 2020
Canada
Section 1/4 - Out of Character Information
Minecraft Username(s):
KalbiRalalbi

Full UUID for your MineCraft account(s):
d4abd2d8-6c91-4a93-89e1-2bafcd895673

What is your age?

Have you read the server rules?
Yes, I have read all the rules that have been put in place by the creators and admins.

Do you agree with the server rules?
Yes, I agree with all the server rules that have been put in place by the creators and admins.

How did you hear about Tale of Banners?

Felt an itch to RP again, so was browsing the internet for RP servers. Found Tale of Banners, and thought it would be interesting to be part of it's world.

Do you have any previous roleplay experience?

I have sixteen years of RP experience, ranging from MUDs, Forum RPs, RP Guilds in MMOs, Minecraft RP servers, Tabletop RP, and a bit of LARPing with some friends.

Additional Information:
I like to create, write, and act out potential scenarios that would take place in a given setting in my free time.

Section 2/4 - Terms & Definitions
Please answer these definitions using your own words, the definitions may be researched however not plagiarized (copy-pasted).
What do you define as roleplaying?

Roleplaying is the act of taking on the role of a character that is created by either you or another person. You act out their emotions, actions, and thoughts. Basically, you breathe life into another soul, acting as their consciousness.

Describe the term ‘powergaming’ in your own words:
Powergaming is when a player forces the narrative to their liking, instead of letting the events play out.

An example of this is a player stating to another player that they "...cave their skull in and they fall over dead...". This gives the other player no way to reply, and engage in the RP that is being had, and forces a one-sided narrative.

Describe the term ‘metagaming’ in your own words:
Metagaming is using OOC knowledge when IC.

An example of this is when a player knows that the potion shop they entered is a front of a secret rebel resistance, and demand to see the rebel leader, but the character himself has no information or even the slightest inkling that they are anything but a potion shop.

What is a "Mary-Sue" character?
Mary-Sues are infallible characters who have it all. Every character they come across instantly likes them, they can pull new powers out of thin air whenever they want, their character flaws usually benefit them more then hinder them, and have almost everything go their way.

These characters usually are self-inserts to make the player feel more empowered when playing games or roleplaying.

What does the abbreviation ‘OOC’ mean & when should this be used?
OOC means out of character, and is used for talking as yourself, and not your character. It can be used to talk as yourself, and identify as such.

Section 3/4 - Character Creation
Here you will create an example character that could exist in the server’s history and lore.

Provide us with an in-game screenshot of your character’s skin.
Sebastin.png

Name:
Sebastin Baran

Culture:
Northren Oserian

Can your character read and write?:
He was taught how to read by his parents when they were still alive. It wasn't until later in life that he learned how to write.

Story & Biography

Sebastin was born to a pair of lowly peasant farmers on the outskirts of Dunsgate. Most of his early childhood, Sebastin can remember having a hoe in hand, knees and hands in the dirt, hitching horses to plows, and loading carts to take produce into town to sell with his family, but mostly his sister. It was back-breaking work day in and day out, but it was a peaceful life...at least until he turned fourteen.
The plague had come for them, first claiming his mother, then his father. His sister had managed to stay healthy, but he was not so lucky. He was on death's door for ten days, his sister taking every step she could to save her only remaining family. He would remember slipping in and out of consciousness, hear her crying, singing, reading him stories. He would even remember a strange man there as well, tending to him. On that tenth day, he opened his eyes to his sister asleep in the chair next to his bed, head slumped down on his lap. When she saw him, she gave him the biggest hug she could, followed by more crying.
The following years were hard, leaving their old home behind and managing to sneak into the city, and bribe a few guards with coin before they were able to start a new life. Sebastin found work wherever his could, as would his sister. They would rent rooms at different inns in the city, following the job offers, and sometimes sleeping outside in the streets.
Years passed, as with the plague mostly receding now, the young adult looks to the old, and his mind turns. While his sister had moved on with her life, starting a family of her own, he sought to start his. Would he become a farmer like his parents, or perhaps a logger, maybe even aiming even higher as a merchant or a knight. To him, the sky was the limit now.

Section 4/4 - Open-ended questions
Please answer at least three of the questions to show how your character would interact with the world. Delete the spares (if applicable). Please include at least one paragraph for each question you answer.

Question 1
You stumble outside into the open air after some heavy drinking in an Oserian tavern. Just before you're about to pass an alleyway, a hooded man rushes out of it and runs for it - seemingly, he has both a blade and some jewellery on him. You take a quick peek in the alleyway to see a feminine figure collapsed on the ground, holding her hands over a bleeding wound in her torso. The thief is about to escape and the woman seems in critical condition. You...

...call after the nearest guards. Both to stop the theif and potential murderer, and to help me with this woman. As the first one would chaser after, I would take the second and get him to help staunch her wound and get her somewhere safe. Once that was taken care of, I would tell my story to the guards. As a potential witness to a crime, I would make sure they had all the info I had...or what info I could give them being so intoxicated, some of my words may slur, but I would try my damnedest.

Question 2
You are on your way to the Korsian city of Telth to sell some wares. Upon reaching the front gates you are stopped by the guard. They deny you entry for the time being as the traffic into the city is too high. You are effectively forced to wait in the refugee camp located between the two gates for the time being. The camp is filled with shopping stalls and refugees sleeping on the floor. How do you spend your time in the camp?

I wouldn't be here now if it weren't for the kindness of strangers and those that were willing to give me a chance to prove himself. I would set up shop here, selling wares from my cart, like all the other stalls, but I would sell at a discount to those that absolutely needed these wares, but still charge full price for those that were better off. I have to make coin somehow, or this trip is not worth it. I would also get a few of the refugees to help me, mainly promote my stall, and offer those that helped a free meal and a little coin for their service.

Question 3

You've gotten lost and wandered awhile into Drahl lands, eventually finding yourself in Crookmire Swamp, where you decide to settle for the night. Finding a meal to buy for the evening takes some effort, but you do come across an old crone in ragged clothing, who offers to sell you some sea-looking food. She doesn't ask much, but warns you that eating it is 'unpleasant' to outsiders. You...

...give the coin, and thank her for her warning and her hospitality. I was already having a hard time already finding something to eat, so I will take what I can get. If I eat it, and it's horrid, I'll swallow my pride, and eat it anyway...just plug my nose.

Question 4
In the midst of battle, you find yourself approaching a wounded enemy soldier. The soldier is on the floor, clearly in terror as they cradle one of the dead. Enemy forces begin to advance in the distance and you know you have to act fast. The soldier then grasps at a cloth and removes it from the dead soldiers pocket. They continue to cry, and starts calling the dead soldier's name in despair. Then the soldier glances up to see you - with your weapon up - but does not care of your approach, continuing to cradle the dead soldier. You…

...lower my weapon, and leave. He may be the enemy, but there has been enough death today. This poor man is probably holding the body of his dear friend or brother, and I don't want to be the one to end their family line. Will if come back to bite me in the ass? Maybe, but I hope that my kindness will be seen as something that lets this man think about life instead of death.

Question 5
You have wandered across a seemingly endless tundra for what have felt like days. A raging snowstorm makes you unable to see more than a few metres ahead. Being almost out of resources, you are delighted to find out that you have stumbled your way to a village. Upon closer inspection you find out it's a Northern village, and the residents are not very friendly towards strangers. What do you do in this dire situation?

I have no choice in this situation. It's do or die at this point. With whatever resources I have left, I offer to barter to wait out the storm, if they don't accept my offer, then offer my services. I can try my best to help out in the village for a place to stay till the storm passes, or lets up enough for me to be on my way.

Verando

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Application Team
Lore Team
Sep 21, 2017
United States

Congratulations! Your application has been approved.

You will now be whitelisted on the server.

Make sure to take some last peeks at relevant information and guides.

You can use ToB’s Discord for communication and questions! You will find me and other whitelisters there too, ready to teach you the ropes.