ACCEPTED - kal's Whitelist Application | Tale of Banners Roleplaying Community Forum

ACCEPTED kal's Whitelist Application

kal

Oct 8, 2019
South Africa
Part 1 of 4
Out of Character
Provide information about yourself here.

MineCraft Username(s):

Answer - kaleidoscope_kal

Full UUID for your MineCraft account(s) (Found here):

Answer - ad3ed2ef-a3fa-425f-a572-9e6430d28f70

How old are you? (We need to know this as our server has an age restriction)

Answer - 16 - 17 soon! (The original information on the profile is wrong, I apologise.)

Have you read through our rules? (Found here)

Answer - Yep!

Do you agree with our rules?

Answer - Mhm. It's fair, just and doesn't make me question the ethics of the staff. Full trust in the rule system, and the staff to implement it.

How did you hear about Tale of Banners?

Answer - Honestly, by googling 'serious minecraft roleplays'.

Do you have any previous roleplay experience?

Answer - Yes! I've been roleplaying for over 4 years now, with serious roleplay being 2 years.

Is there anything you would like to add?

Answer - Supposedly, no. Have a good day, though!

Part 2 of 4
Terms & definitions
Answer these definitions using your own words. The definitions can be looked up if necessary, however copy-pasting is not allowed.
What do you define as roleplaying?

Answer - Roleplaying is a vast term for me. However, when faced with this question, I like to describe it as forgetting our own opinions, stories and the way we were raised for however long and instead, step into our character's skin. Live the life they face and think the way they think. Research and efforts to understand that, too, is important.

As said, it's a vast term. I cannot say it's the same for anyone else; but I do like to think some agree.

Describe the term ‘powergaming’

Answer - Using unrealistic actions to gain favour in our path, or ignoring certain actions. A childish example that gets me giggling every time would be as follows:

Bob: *uses some weird anime superpower to slice betty in half*
Betty: *sips milk*
Bob: *rips betty's heart out*
Betty: omg a flower! *plucks flower and places in hair*

Stupid and idiotic as the example may be, it's to explain I do understand what it is about. Both of them were powergaming, although if faced with the actions Bob has stupidly used, I would ignore him too, and I would gladly face consequences for doing so, if any.

Describe the term ‘metagaming’

Answer - Using OOCly gained information ICly. For example;

Jimmy sends a message through global chat, proclaiming he's going to attempt to kill the king. The king, now scared for his character's life, runs away and lives as a hermit until the other character dies.

Not realistic, again, but possible.

What is a "Mary-Sue" character?

Answer - A character with untouchable or unrealistic aspects to them, indicating particular 'auto-hits' or 'no dodge' aspects to themselves, particularly with skills and abilities. Also, is highly linked with powergaming, in my experiences.

Part 3 of 4
Character Creation
Here you will create a character to use on our server.
Provide us with an ingame screenshot of your character’s skin.

Answer - While not ingame, I did this using the skin editor I use.

Saeunn picture.png

Name:

Answer - Saeunn Belland.

Answer - 23 years old.

Culture:

Answer - Northerner, Summit.

Story & Biography:

Answer -

Born in a small clan, Saeunn was never subjected to anything that the other children weren't. Her parents were somewhat honest folk, who led somewhat honest lives. Her father was a particularly strict Northerner, whilst her mother was soft hearted. Her father always found a reason to punish Saeunn, however, and despite their close community, the young child hadn't found herself amongst many. Her father and her hadn't always seen eye to eye, but in the end, they were still family and family won amongst all in the North.

All in all, Saeunn only grew up as the typical Northerner. She learned the trade of farming from her aunt and the art of tailoring from her mother, along with cooking and cleaning. From her father she learned the necessary skills of combat and defending herself - and as she matured, she came to appreciate her father's strict rules and they grew rather close. She, however, found herself rather confused upon other's actions - those of her age and those of not. She didn't have a filter on her tongue, and spoke her mind on everything. A bit daft on social manners, too, amongst the harshness in her words and attitude.

Saeunn was physically attractive, with a well kept endomorph build and her height 5'5. With light brown hair, she boasts green eyes speckled with grey flecks.

Ready to venture wherever her adventures take her, her story is only beginning!

Part 4 of 4
Open-ended questions
At least three must be answered. Delete the spares(if applicable). Please include at least one paragraph for each of the answered questions.

Question 1
You stumble outside into the open air after some heavy drinking in an Oserian tavern. Just before you're about to pass an alleyway, a hooded man rushes out of it and runs for it - seemingly, he has both a blade and some jewellery on him. You take a quick peek in the alleyway to see a feminine figure collapsed on the ground, holding her hands over a bleeding wound in her torso. The thief is about to escape and the woman seems in critical condition. You...

Answer:

Already a mess, Saeunn couldn't comprehend the sudden blur of the figure that dashed away, watching it in confusion as it disappeared. Saeunn, for all that she was intelligent, was not so much while intoxicated. The pained gasps of a woman held a knife to her throat, though, as reality seeped in. Grasping the wall, she peeked her head around the corner and the source of the sound sat in a puddle of her own blood. Closing her eyes, Saeunn grasped her gloves in her satchel and slipped them on before moving forward, raising her gloved hands in peace to the frightened woman.

"There's a tavern nearby which should be able to help, ma'am." She muttered, her voice slurred but thick and heavy with her Northern accent. She slowly grasped at a loose fabric from the woman's dress, where she was wounded, and ripped it off, then holding it to the wound tightly, indicating the woman took over. "Sorry, I'm too drunk to chase after a thief - and I bet he's long gone by now." Truthfully, she had no remorse for such a manner, but she wasn't daft enough to comment on that aloud. "I'll be... back, getting some help from the men in the tavern to pick you up." The woman only weakly nodded whilst Saeunn moved as fast as the alcohol would allow her to.

Question 2
You are on your way to the Korsian city of Telth to sell some wares. Upon reaching the front gates you are stopped by the guard. They deny you entry for the time being as the traffic into the city is too high. You are effectively forced to wait in the refugee camp located between the two gates for the time being. The camp is
filled with shopping stalls and refugees sleeping on the floor. How do you spend your time in the camp?

Answer:

Saeunn sighed and kicked at the stones littering the camp. She was on a tight schedule - she wished to go back to her familiar lands of home, the icy weather only befitting for a Northerner. Grunting and sitting down on the floor, (away from the refugees, notably) she gave in to the temptation to write in her journal. Green hues peeked above a leather journal to capture the busy essence of the camp, from the refugees and their pitiful state, to the stall vendors and the hagglers trying to get a better price. Once more, she cared not, but the study of the way they moved and their interactions with another proved to be valuable information to the curious woman.

Question 4
In the midst of battle, you find yourself approaching a wounded enemy soldier. The soldier is on the floor, clearly in terror as they cradle one of the dead. Enemy forces begin to advance in the distance and you know you have to act fast. The soldier then grasps at a cloth and removes it from the dead soldiers pocket. They continue to cry, and starts calling the dead soldier's name in despair. Then the soldier glances up to see you - with your weapon up - but does not care of your approach, continuing to cradle the dead soldier. You…

Answer:

The smell of the deceased burned her nose, causing a vicious snarl to appear on her otherwise soft face. Her green eyes stared at the man with no emotions - no thoughts going through her head. The Northerner would never flee, but as she stared at the somewhat disabled man, she fought with her morals. An enemy laid beneath her, clutching the other and appeared to be in the wrong mental state for the battlefield. Questions of her own sanity flung around like elastic bands in her mind, but ultimately, she knew what she would do.

Glancing up at the enemy drawing closer, she merely closed her eyes as she looked away from the downed soldier - before plunging the sword between his ribs. He would've died - and who knows if he were to attack one of her people if he so deemed himself fit to do so. Placing her bloodied boot on his chest, she ripped the sword out as she kicked the lifeless body away, ensuring it fell on the soldier he so seemed to care about. She did what she would've wanted anyone else to do for her - if she were to die, she would've wanted to die amongst her loved ones.

Roedhip

Application Team
Staff member
Application Team
Jan 3, 2016
Scotland

Congratulations! Your application has been approved.
You will now be whitelisted on the server.
Make sure to take some last peeks at relevant information and guides.
You can use ToB’s Discord for communication and questions! You will find me and other whitelisters there too, ready to teach you the ropes.

One tiny note I want to make with respect to powergaming is that any emote in which you describe your character doing something to another character rather than attempting to do something (as happened in your 'slicing Betty in half' example) also counts as powergaming. Good practice is to have your character attempt to hit/catch/stop another character in an emote and let the other person decide if it is successful.