Laruza

Jun 30, 2020
Finland
Minecraft Username(s):

-LaruzaSu

Full UUID for your MineCraft account(s) (Found here):

-4d1a3e78-bfdf-44d0-b705-e4e476eedda7

What is your age?

(We need to know this as our server has an age restriction)

-Currently 18.

Have you read the server rules? (Found here)

-Yes I have.

Do you agree with the server rules?

-Yes.

How did you hear about Tale of Banners?

-I was looking for fantasy and medieval themed roleplay servers and stumbled upon it.

Do you have any previous roleplay experience?

(Please give examples, no experience is acceptable)

-I have played Dungeons & Dragons with my friends.

Additional Information: (If any)

-No.

Section 2/4 - Terms & Definitions

Please answer these definitions using your own words, the definitions may be researched however not plagiarized (copy-pasted).

What do you define as roleplaying?

-Roleplaying is acting as a made up character or persona. You consider their motivations and personality and try to act accordingly.

Describe the term ‘powergaming’ in your own words:

-Powergaming is when you try to maximize your progress towards a certain goal. It can come in different forms in different mediums. In text based roleplay it can often be neglecting the freedom of other players. For an example determining the result of an action on your own without the other player’s opinion/reaction.

Describe the term ‘metagaming’ in your own words:

-Metagaming is using real-life knowledge in character when the character doesn’t have it yet or is unable to obtain it in the first place. For an example if a player is told secret details about another character’s past, bringing it up in character without actually finding out about it could be considered metagaming.

What is a "Mary-Sue" character?

-Mary-Sues are often characters who are too perfect and lack flaws. Sometimes they could be the creator’s idealized image of a character or even an idealized self insert. In romance every love interest falls in love with them and in action they are the strongest person alive.

What does the abbreviation ‘OOC’ mean & when should this be used?

-In writing and roleplay OOC usually means ”out of character”. In writing you can use it to describe when a character isn’t written in a way that seems to be fitting for their personality. (For an example a peaceful character is suddenly written as violent for no reason.) However in the context of roleplay, out of character means communicating between players outside their characters. This could be just some small talk or informing the other players that they have to stop soon and have to find a natural way to exit the scene currently happening in character.

Section 3/4 - Character Creation

Here you will create an example character that could exist in the server’s history and lore.

Provide us with an in-game screenshot of your character’s skin.

- Astrid1.Front.png Astrid2.Front.png

Name:

-Astrid

Culture:

-Northerner (From somewhere between the Northern Summit and Melting Lands.)

Can your character read and write?:

-Yes she can, but she isn’t very good at it currently.

Story & Biography (please go into detail, we recommend two paragraphs but expect at least one. Please outline character history, personality traits and the things that make your character unique. Have fun with this section!)

(Please note although the character you apply with can commit illegal or immoral acts you cannot do these things on the server without an Intrigue application. This can be applied for once you are whitelisted.) Found here:

https://taleofbanners.com/forum/forums/intrigue-application.119/ (Intrigue Application)

(You are also able to apply with a noble but keep in mind you cannot play a noble character on the server unless you join an accepted noble house or apply for one.) Found here:

https://taleofbanners.com/forum/forums/noble-houses.142/ (Noble Houses)

- Astrid was born into a small Northerner family with two older siblings. At the time however, she was known by the name Inga. Her family was often busy with their everyday jobs and chores and Astrid spent a lot of time alone or playing with the family’s pet wolf simply named Gray. Everything changed when one late evening the small settlement they lived in was attacked. Astrid doesn’t quite know who they were but she remembers there being an air of uncertainty before the event. She remembers blood and chaos and how her mother desperately pushed her to escape with Gray.

Astrid was found unconscious in the wilderness by an older lady called Sigrun Eld. The girl was still being protected by her pet. Sigrun managed to take them both home after winning the wolf’s trust. After waking up, Astrid refused to speak for multiple days. She avoided Sigrun, clutching a knife in her small hands, a grim expression on her face. With time however, Astrid began to open up.

Sigrun always kept her eyes open in case she’d see someone looking for a child, but never heard anything. Astrid didn’t like talking of her past but did spare enough details for Sigrun to figure out the girl might not have other places to go anymore. Astrid stubbornly refused to be called by her old name. Remembering her family calling her that felt too painful. She was given her new name, Astrid.

Life became happier with time. Astrid begun to trust Sigrun. The older woman became her new caretaker. Despite her age, Sigrun taught her how to survive in the wild and hunt. She had been a hunter in her youth and had also traveled quite a bit. She had had to learn how to read and write simple messages. She made sure to transfer that skill to Astrid as well. Astrid showed great curiosity towards learning more about books and the world. Though, she was also a bit shy and quite paranoid. Ever since losing her original family, she’d feel the need to have some sort of a weapon beside her when sleeping. She’d also still have trouble trusting strangers.

At the age of fifteen, Astrid got initiated to the Way of the Five. She wasn’t that eager, but Sigrun encouraged her. She’d tell Astrid: ”Feynir was kind enough to give you to me, someone who couldn’t have a child otherwise. She guided you to new family”. Astrid would give her a small smile as an answer, but deep down she’d feel unsure.
”Then was is Elni who took my family away in the first place? Did I have it too good..?” Astrid would wonder, a tight feeling in her chest. Would her happiness be taken away again if she got too much of it?

Eventually, Sigrun’s health started to decline. She was already old after all. It came as a shock, as she had always been so full of energy and life. Now she was bedridden. Astrid did her best taking care of Sigrun, but her time was clearly coming to an end. One morning, Sigrun didn’t wake up anymore. Astrid was alone.

Astrid came to her house less and less. Her home had become cold. Not even Gray was beside her as it had died of old age a long time ago. Astrid would wander in the wilderness, hunting and gathering what she needed to survive. She had a couple close calls every now and then but it wouldn’t stop her. She felt like she was in a haze.

One day, Astrid returned to her house after a long wandering trip only to find it collapsed. Most likely because of a recent snowstorm. The small house had been old and Astrid had been neglecting it. Now it was uninhabitable and she broke into tears for the first time in forever. She sobbed on the remains for a long while. Everything she had been bottling up was overflowing now. She came to the realization she can’t keep living like this, trapped by her sorrow. She’d need to turn a new page.

Astrid glanced at the remains of the house for the last time. She still felt lost and unsure but she had made the decision to leave. Perhaps she’d travel like Sigrun had. Perhaps she’d get to learn more about the world. Astrid was sure Sigrun would approve of that.

Section 4/4 - Open-ended questions

Please answer at least three of the questions to show how your character would interact with the world. Delete the spares (if applicable). Please include at least one paragraph for each question you answer.

Question 1

You stumble outside into the open air after some heavy drinking in an Oserian tavern. Just before you're about to pass an alleyway, a hooded man rushes out of it and runs for it - seemingly, he has both a blade and some jewellery on him. You take a quick peek in the alleyway to see a feminine figure collapsed on the ground, holding her hands over a bleeding wound in her torso. The thief is about to escape and the woman seems in critical condition. You...

- I stop. For a moment I question if my eyes see correctly. When I come to the conclusion that yes, that is indeed an injured woman, I immediately feel the urge to help. But my feet are slow to move. A familiar spark of paranoia awakes in me. I feel my thoughts spiraling faster.

”What if this is an ambush and the woman is just a lure. What if I get attacked. I can’t see what’s behind the corners. But surely that blood is real. I would be easier to defeat when I’m drunk like this. They won’t care about honor.”

I shake myself out of it. I’m losing time. I force my foot forward. I can’t let an innocent woman die just because I was too cowardly. My heart beats fast like a ritual drum as I hurriedly stumble over to the woman. I grab spare cloth I still luckily have from my bag. I do my best to bandage the woman and hope that she’ll survive.

Question 2

You are on your way to the Korsian city of Telth to sell some wares. Upon reaching the front gates you are stopped by the guard. They deny you entry for the time being as the traffic into the city is too high. You are effectively forced to wait in the refugee camp located between the two gates for the time being. The camp is

filled with shopping stalls and refugees sleeping on the floor. How do you spend your time in the camp?

- I walk around the camp, taking the sight in. I buy some food and supplies, but don’t waste all my money yet. I will need it later, I’m sure. I try to find a shadowy spot to rest in. The day is much hotter than I’d like but I know it will be cooler at night. I have seen it already on the way here.

I spend my time sitting there and watching the people and surroundings. I wonder what Telth is like and see if I can already see some of the highest buildings. A part of me hopes I won’t have to spend too many nights here. It is too open with too many people. Even sleeping with a knife in my hand might not give me enough peace of mind.

Question 3

You've gotten lost and wandered awhile into Drahl lands, eventually finding yourself in Crookmire Swamp, where you decide to settle for the night. Finding a meal to buy for the evening takes some effort, but you do come across an old crone in ragged clothing, who offers to sell you some sea-looking food. She doesn't ask much, but warns you that eating it is 'unpleasant' to outsiders. You...

- I stare at the food and my eyes squint just slightly. It doesn’t look appealing but it might be the best I have right now. Though… what exactly does the old crone mean by ”unpleasant”? Does it just taste bad or just feel bad in the mouth? Or will it cause problems for my health? I do not trust it, and I do not trust the woman will answer my questions truthfully.

I buy the sea-looking food. I store it where I’d usually put my rations. I will not eat it tonight and if I find something less suspicious, I will abandon it. But nobody knows what the next day brings so I might as well have it just in case. I can go hungry for one night, but probably not two if I want to stay active. Hopefully the smell doesn’t stay…

Question 4

In the midst of battle, you find yourself approaching a wounded enemy soldier. The soldier is on the floor, clearly in terror as they cradle one of the dead. Enemy forces begin to advance in the distance and you know you have to act fast. The soldier then grasps at a cloth and removes it from the dead soldiers pocket. They continue to cry, and starts calling the dead soldier's name in despair. Then the soldier glances up to see you - with your weapon up - but does not care of your approach, continuing to cradle the dead soldier. You…

- I stare at the pitiful sight of the man, my heart heavy. His body might be intact but his will to fight seems to have disappeared. He probably wouldn’t fight back. I clench my teeth and head the other way. It is not honorable to kill those unable to defend themselves. He might end up killed anyway, but it doesn’t have to be with my hand. I hold on to my decision but feelings of doubt still haunt me as I head the other way. I glance at the man to see if he’s still there. To see if he has decided to attack after all.

Question 5

You have wandered across a seemingly endless tundra for what have felt like days. A raging snowstorm makes you unable to see more than a few metres ahead. Being almost out of resources, you are delighted to find out that you have stumbled your way to a village. Upon closer inspection you find out it's a Northern village, and the residents are not very friendly towards strangers. What do you do in this dire situation?

- I sigh, both from relief and exhaustion. Village is good. Village means warmth. But village also means people, which can be both positive and negative. I try to see if I can spot an inn or a tavern but it is very difficult in this storm.

After a while I manage to spot a local. I greet him, using my hands to sign. I ask him if they have a place to spend the night here. His eyes are stern but I wait for his answer. I know neither of us trust that easily but I’m sure we both also know how hard it is to spend a night in a snowstorm.

The End! Once you have completed this application and post it here:

https://taleofbanners.com/forum/forums/whitelist-applications.13/ (Whitelist Applications)

Our application team will look at it as soon as possible!

Your application may be put onto pending when amendments are needed. Once you have amended the changes please notify the application team member by replying to the thread. The Application Team will then will review your application again. You have 14 days to make the amendments before the application is denied.

Thank you for applying for Tale of Banners!

Last edited:

TrueParanormal

The Chaotic
Staff member
Event Team Leader
Event Team
Application Team
May 28, 2020
New Jersey

Congratulations! Your application has been approved.

I absolutely loved everything about this. My favorite application I have accepted up until this point! Really, great job! Can't wait to role-play with you.

You will now be whitelisted on the server.

Make sure to take some last peeks at relevant information and guides.

You can use ToB’s Discord for communication and questions! You will find me and other whitelisters there too, ready to teach you the ropes.