ACCEPTED - Minaro Ericson Application | Tale of Banners Roleplaying Community Forum

ACCEPTED Minaro Ericson Application

Minaro_

Aug 23, 2020
USA
Section 1/4 - Out of Character Information

Minecraft Username(s):

- Minaro_

Full UUID for your MineCraft account(s) (Found here):

- f21cf051-856d-4dd8-a272-f4c8a7c7d7ee

What is your age?
(We need to know this as our server has an age restriction)

Have you read the server rules? (Found here)

- Ya

Do you agree with the server rules?

- Yup

How did you hear about Tale of Banners?

- Vastaballo sent me

Do you have any previous roleplay experience?
(Please give examples, no experience is acceptable)

- I've been a dungeon master for my dnd group for about 3 years

Section 2/4 - Terms & Definitions
Please answer these definitions using your own words, the definitions may be researched however not plagiarized (copy-pasted).

What do you define as roleplaying?

- Playing a character inside a world with limits. The character could be anything as long as it fits within the world.

Describe the term ‘powergaming’ in your own words:

- Only focusing on making the strongest character, and ignoring making a character with a great story. I don't exactly know how this would work in Minecraft, but in DnD powergaming characters tend to excel at combat because that's usually the only thing that they actually care about. When it comes to actual roleplay, they don't really work that well. That's not to say that powergaming is bad, it's just not suited for roleplay enviroments

Describe the term ‘metagaming’ in your own words:

- Using the knowledge that your character couldn't possibly know to solve problems

What is a "Mary-Sue" character?

- A character with little or no negative aspects. I tend to use Superman as an example of this. He has no limits to what he can do, and very rarely fails. It's more interesting to watch a character that is capable of failure or has conflicting morals than a character that you know will always win. In roleplay, these characters tend to be headstrong and self-centric and at the end of the day they tend to all feel the same. Playing with a mary-sue can be similar to playing with a player who is powergaming, in that they see character weakness as a problem and not a part of the character itself.

What does the abbreviation ‘OOC’ mean & when should this be used?

- Out of character, and shouldn't be used unless absolutely necessary to get some information across

Section 3/4 - Character Creation
Here you will create an example character that could exist in the server’s history and lore.

Provide us with an in-game screenshot of your character’s skin.

- 1598216932193.png
The red thing is a scarf, it didn't turn out that well.

Name:

- Minaro Ericson

Culture:

- Northern

Can your character read and write?:

- Yes

Story & Biography (please go into detail, we recommend two paragraphs but expect at least one. Please outline character history, personality traits and the things that make your character unique. Have fun with this section!)

Minaro is rather smart but he's also quite an airhead, so he doesn't always use his natural intelligence. Minaro is a gentle soul, so when bad things happen that he can't fix right away, Minaro will run away rather than deal with the outcomes.

Minaro is a young lad who's gentle and aloof nature put him at odds with his clan of Midlands Folk in the North. Although his family still care for him, in spite of his oddities, Minaro didn't feel as though he belonged and he left his ancestral home to journey down to Oseria in search of adventure. Using what money he brought with him, Minaro bought a small tavern and then promptly forgot to name it. He spends his days mixing up drinks and potions for fellow adventurers as he saves up money to go on a grand adventure himself. His alcoholic concoctions have been rated as "passable" by his passerby.

Minaro tend's to avoid violence when possible so he doesn't quite feel at home in Oseria either, even though the large supply of wheat products make it easy for him to run his tavern. His unease has lead to him searching for a new home elsewhere, although he does not know where to begin

Section 4/4 - Open-ended questions
Please answer at least three of the questions to show how your character would interact with the world. Delete the spares (if applicable). Please include at least one paragraph for each question you answer.

Question 1

You stumble outside into the open air after some heavy drinking in an Oserian tavern. Just before you're about to pass an alleyway, a hooded man rushes out of it and runs for it - seemingly, he has both a blade and some jewelry on him. You take a quick peek in the alleyway to see a feminine figure collapsed on the ground, holding her hands over a bleeding wound in her torso. The thief is about to escape and the woman seems in critical condition. You...

- Panic and freak out. I can handle myself if given time to mentally prepare but when caught by surprise I tend to go into panicky haze. I do have a healing potion on me at all times, but when panicked, I tend to forget basic things. Eventually, I'd come to my senses and rush to the woman but by then it might be too late. I wouldn't even bother with the thief, conserving life is more important than justice, maybe some paladin type will catch him.

Question 2

You've gotten lost and wandered awhile into Drahl lands, eventually finding yourself in Crookmire Swamp, where you decide to settle for the night. Finding a meal to buy for the evening takes some effort, but you do come across an old crone in ragged clothing, who offers to sell you some sea-looking food. She doesn't ask much, but warns you that eating it is 'unpleasant' to outsiders. You...

- Graciously buy and eat the food. I certainly don't want to disappoint the woman as she went through all the trouble to get me this and it's such a deal. Plus, whats the worst that could happen? I've got healing potions. I wouldn't know about the whole "psychoactive substances" thing that the Drahl are so fond of and when hungry, I'd eat just about anything.

Question 3

You have wandered across a seemingly endless tundra for what have felt like days. A raging snowstorm makes you unable to see more than a few metres ahead. Being almost out of resources, you are delighted to find out that you have stumbled your way to a village. Upon closer inspection you find out it's a Northern village, and the residents are not very friendly towards strangers. What do you do in this dire situation?

- That depends on what clan they are. Flintfolk could probably be persuaded with a little bit of money, plus it's not that cold in Flintswood. If they're Midlands, then I've got it easy. I am Midlands, and therefore not a stranger. Hopefully, they don't hate the clan that I'm from. If they're Summit Folk, well then it's probably better to just risk dying in the tundra.

Last edited:

Verando

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Application Team
Lore Team
Sep 21, 2017
United States

You’re almost there! Your application is pending.

There are only a few things to change for a final decision.

Make the following edits to your application:

1. Your powergaming definition is a bit too narrow. You should expand upon it in a general way and touch upon the multiplayer aspects of how powergaming effects rp scenarios such as combat.

2. Your mary-sue definition is a little short and doesn't cover all the aspects of a mary sue. Try to note how a mary sue interacts with the world and people around themselves.

3. Your skin has some goggles on the character. Goggles are a little advanced for medieval society, but if you could remove them it would be an easy accept.

4. Your Bio mentions only locations in terms of lore references please reference something in addition to locations when writing your biography to show us that you have studied the lore and are willing to work within it.

5. Your answers to the questions are a little short. You should expand upon them as if you were rolelplaying in a multiplayer rp scenario. If you need help with this feel free to ask.

Once that is done, make a comment affirming you have made these changes and your application will be reviewed again as soon as possible.

Good luck!

Minaro_

Aug 23, 2020
USA

You’re almost there! Your application is pending.

There are only a few things to change for a final decision.

Make the following edits to your application:

1. Your powergaming definition is a bit too narrow. You should expand upon it in a general way and touch upon the multiplayer aspects of how powergaming effects rp scenarios such as combat.

2. Your mary-sue definition is a little short and doesn't cover all the aspects of a mary sue. Try to note how a mary sue interacts with the world and people around themselves.

3. Your skin has some goggles on the character. Goggles are a little advanced for medieval society, but if you could remove them it would be an easy accept.

4. Your Bio mentions only locations in terms of lore references please reference something in addition to locations when writing your biography to show us that you have studied the lore and are willing to work within it.

5. Your answers to the questions are a little short. You should expand upon them as if you were rolelplaying in a multiplayer rp scenario. If you need help with this feel free to ask.

Once that is done, make a comment affirming you have made these changes and your application will be reviewed again as soon as possible.

Good luck!

Alrighty, I fixed up the application. My character looks so strange without his goggles :p

Verando

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Application Team
Lore Team
Sep 21, 2017
United States

Congratulations! Your application has been approved.

You will now be whitelisted on the server.

Be sure to note in a multiplayer RP scenario such as with MC powergaming usually is forcing an outcome you want to happen through emotes.

Make sure to take some last peeks at relevant information and guides.

You can use ToB’s Discord for communication and questions! You will find me and other whitelisters there too, ready to teach you the ropes.