ACCEPTED Psychic_Crow's Whitelist Application [Re-submission]

Aug 19, 2019
Eastern US
Out of Character
Provide information about yourself here.

MineCraft Username(s):

Answer – Psychic_Crow

Full UUID for your MineCraft account(s) (Found here):

Answer - 8a2e8c88-3555-4c2a-a60f-c43dfa655f9a

How old are you? (We need to know this as our server has an age restriction)

Answer - 21

Have you read through our rules? (Found here)

Answer – Yup.

Do you agree with our rules?

Answer - Yup.

How did you hear about Tale of Banners?

Answer – I found ToB through a Google search for Minecraft medieval roleplay servers.

Do you have any previous roleplay experience?

Answer – I used to play on roleplay servers on Gary’s Mod and have played a lot of DnD and other tabletop RPGs.

Is there anything you would like to add?

Answer – Just that I’ve a lot of experience in Minecraft and have been playing since about 2011 and love the idea of a low-fantasy Minecraft roleplay experience.

Part 2 of 4
Terms & definitions
Answer these definitions using your own words. The definitions can be looked up if necessary, however copy-pasting is not allowed.
What do you define as roleplaying?

Answer – Roleplaying is like immersive improv where you take on the life of your choosing and respond to the events of a fictional world through that character.

Describe the term ‘powergaming’

Answer – Powergaming is the use of multiple owned characters to achieve a goal that one character alone perhaps could not. It’s having control over more than one life for your own benefit. It negates any social interaction aspects of the game by letting you do everything yourself.

(EDIT): So I've just described one type of powergaming. Powergaming in roleplay is when you do something that makes your character "win" or in their favor at the expense of the roleplay experience. It can happen when you fail to give another player a chance to react to your actions or force them into a situation without allowing them a chance to turn the situation in a different direction.

Describe the term ‘metagaming’

Answer – Metagaming is using outside information or information that your character would not normally know to your advantage.

What is a "Mary-Sue" character?

Answer – A Mary-Sue is a character that possesses too many capabilities or powers without balancing them out with flaws. It’s an unrealistic standard basically that gives you unfair advantages.

Part 3 of 4
Character Creation
Here you will create a character to use on our server.
Provide us with an ingame screenshot of your character’s skin.

Answer -
Bjorn.png

Name:

Answer - Bjørn of the Northern Summit

Answer - 27

Culture:

Answer – The Northern Summit

Story & Biography:

Answer
Bjorn hails from the city of Norvaskr in the Northern Summit. He is large in height and width, his hair is long, dirty blond, and braided, and what of his face that can be seen behind his impressive facial hair rarely breaks its stoic visage. To an outsider he may come across cold, apathetic, or simply unfriendly, but his trust and friendship are winnable by those he deems worthy. To familiars, Bjorn is jovial and boisterous and always ready for a pint. Bjorn bears a scar across the left half of his face, blinding his left eye. Some say he fought a bear and won, while others have heard it was earned in glorious battle. Even fewer believe he gave it to himself, for he was tired of being so amazing at literally everything that he needed something to compensate. There is no consensus, for the story changes with each of his retellings.

Bjorn is weather hardened and steeled against nature having lived in the Summit his whole life. He’s as used to the cold as any man could be. His favorite pastimes include frequenting the local tavern and smoking his favorite pipe… along with occasionally partaking in the mind-bending effects of some local flora where “[he] and the bear become one in strength, ferocity, and fearlessness.” His words not mine…

This isn’t to say that Bjorn is a good for nothing slacker. He’s a hard-working man and a proud warrior of the North. As well, he's a fair survivalist; you must be in the Northern Summit. However, he can’t help the feeling that something is missing. His sense of purpose is unclear. He often wonders what’s the point of it all and isn’t he “just an amalgamation of borrowed space dust on its return trip to the soil from which he was begotten?” …and other excerpts from his diary.

Luckily for Bjorn, his options are more open than ever since The Second Great Blizzard has left him homeless and his wolven companion, Bjark, frozen. (He’s sure he'll be fine...) He’s a capable man with nothing to lose, save his life or worse, his honor…
- A thinker, a fighter, a drinker, a story teller, and a stand-up feller, a luxurious beard, who's in fights feared... These are all Bjorn and Bjorn is them.

[He wakes up after a night heavy drinking in a tavern/inn south of Dunsgate… Must have been one hell of a night.]

Part 4 of 4
Open-ended questions
At least three must be answered. Delete the spares(if applicable). Please include at least one paragraph for each of the answered questions.

Question 3
You've gotten lost and wandered awhile into Drahl lands, eventually finding yourself in Crookmire Swamp, where you decide to settle for the night. Finding a meal to buy for the evening takes some effort, but you do come across an old crone in ragged clothing, who offers to sell you some sea-looking food. She doesn't ask much, but warns you that eating it is 'unpleasant' to outsiders. You...

Answer: …have eaten worse and are sure I can stomach a bit of seafood. I know from experience that any food is better than none and take my chances with whatever ‘unpleasant’ side effects it may have. I scarf down whatever she was willing to give me and let my iron stomach decide if she tells the truth.

Question 4
In the midst of battle, you find yourself approaching a wounded enemy soldier. The soldier is on the floor, clearly in terror as they cradle one of the dead. Enemy forces begin to advance in the distance and you know you have to act fast. The soldier then grasps at a cloth and removes it from the dead soldiers pocket. They continue to cry, and starts calling the dead soldier's name in despair. Then the soldier glances up to see you - with your weapon up - but does not care of your approach, continuing to cradle the dead soldier. You…

Answer: look to them with pity... "There is no honor in your wails, fighter... There is no room for emotion on the battlefield. Surely you don't wish to die the death of a coward?" Seeing that he is injured and refuses to fight back, Bjorn turns to leave them either to be rescued by their allies or succumb to their wounds. "Rest easy, and, as The Five wills it, may we meet again on the field of battle for a proper fight next time!" Bjorn returns to his men to alert them of the oncoming enemy forces.

[alternative Berserker/mushroom induced ending]

…in a rage induced state ignore most details of the battle outside of where and when my axe should strike. I’m released into battle fearlessly like a caged animal and it would be unlucky to have not fled in fear before I was able to reach you. As my eyes meet his, he sees no compassion. It’s not a cruel merciless stare, but the stare of something incapable of such complex emotions. I pounce, for all I see is movement and all movement must cease…

Question 5
You have wandered across a seemingly endless tundra for what have felt like days. A raging snowstorm makes you unable to see more than a few metres ahead. Being almost out of resources, you are delighted to find out that you have stumbled your way to a village. Upon closer inspection you find out it's a Northern village, and the residents are not very friendly towards strangers. What do you do in this dire situation?

Answer: I’m not a stranger to harsh winters and the snowstorms they bring, however, this one in particular is too severe for my liking and shelter would be appreciated. If they cannot see that I am obviously of Northern heritage and one of their kin, then I must be entirely covered in snow from head to toe. I simply brush myself off and ask for directions to the nearest tavern so I can warm my innards with some mead.

Last edited:

GreenHarmony

Reviews Things
Jan 8, 2016
Rīga

You’re almost there! Your application is pending.

There seems to be a lot of indecision surrounding your app.

Before approving you, I'd like you to:

1. Pick a singular backstory. Maybe remake it entirely; it seems to hold quite the power for a freshly made character, especially the longer one. And was that werewolf(werebear?) transformation in there somewhere..? I'm sure it's only a metaphor, but I'm also fairly sure your character should not have survived a one on one fight with a bear that easily and without further consequences.

2. To elaborate on my first point, I'd like you to approach your character as mostly unskilled and perhaps even without major scars and battle aftermaths solely through the backstory. We prefer for characters to gain their experience and prowess through in-game adventures. Should you go through with the bear encounter, maybe pull it in a direction where the fight leaves your character so damaged that, for a long time, he's failed to be able to fight at all and after a long recovery, has to re-learn his abilities entirely. Just an idea!

3. Pick one skin for the application. You can even change the outfits up after you're on the server, just make sure to match up facial features. Also, armoured skins like your second and third example aren't great to start out with - we'd prefer players to obtain armour shown on their skins while on the server.

I'd love to coordinate the changes with you over Discord, so feel free to shoot me a private message so we can figure them out. :)

Once that is done, make a comment affirming you have made these changes and your application will be reviewed again as soon as possible.

Good luck!

GreenHarmony

Reviews Things
Jan 8, 2016
Rīga

Congratulations! Your application has been approved.

You will now be whitelisted on the server.

Make sure to take some last peeks at relevant information and guides.

You can use ToB’s Discord for communication and questions! You will find me and other whitelisters there too, ready to teach you the ropes.