Verando

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Application Team
Lore Team
Sep 21, 2017
United States
Last QOTD wasn't too successful. Let's try again.
Question of the day, June 22
What is some useful thing that you own?

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020
Canada, Quebec
For june 19th!
I really enjoyed Curie from Fallout 4. Something with a robot with a french accent discovering the actual world struck a chord with me. Bless her digital soul. Else, my probably most favorite NPC ever and a treasure we should all cherish and protect is Tataru from FFXIV.

As for the most useful thing I own... I can't really think of anything besides my car or my phone. I do own a pretty cool and very small tent that's very easy to carry with me. It's the perfect excuse not to sleep in anyone else's tent at sleepovers, a great larp side-couch when you're cold with your group and an amazing tool to keep your nephews in the shade when you go to the beach with them! Tiny tent, yeah!

Verando

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Application Team
Lore Team
Sep 21, 2017
United States
Ah, accidentally forgot this one. I'll edit the question to be more interesting

Most people nowdays can say their phone, but I'm going a different direction as well. I own a personal medical kit that I can use. Don't have kids but it helped when I cut my foot open on some glass. Also was able to treat minor burns because it comes with a little booklet.

TrueParanormal

Event Team Leader
Staff member
Event Team Leader
Event Team
Application Team
May 28, 2020
New Jersey
Something useful I own are my chickens. They can provide food consistently and we have a male so there can be a new generation after the fact. Plus, we have dogs to herd and protect them. If a worst-case-scenario were to happen that would be more useful than a phone. Maybe not a car, but definitely a phone.

UltimateZZV

Something Something Beatles Reference
Staff member
Lore Team
Mar 16, 2017
Buffalo, Missouri
Mine goes to a character from the Fallout Franchise as well, Piper. Best companion, good journalist.

An envelope opener. It often gets overlooked on the modern desk, but a plastic tool with a small blade put between a thin rod and the rest of the body able to cleanly open even the peskiest of envelopes is a convenient item.

Verando

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Application Team
Lore Team
Sep 21, 2017
United States
I tried my hardest to enjoy the walking dead after I had heard it was good. I was a big fan of things like resident evil and dead rising, so I thought it wouldn't be bad. It was just so... boring and crap. I even enjoy slow movies normally. I didn't care for the characters or the melodrama, and I just said screw it I quit after halfway through the second season.

Verando

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Application Team
Lore Team
Sep 21, 2017
United States
Tuesdays' QOTD wasn't so successful, and yesterday was quite busy. Let's try this again!

Question of the Day, June 25th

What movie/game/writing trope do you dislike (Potentially the most disliked)? Why?

Verando

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Application Team
Lore Team
Sep 21, 2017
United States
I have two that spring to mind right away. In anime, the audible gasp sound that comes out of every character's mouth every two minutes gets on my nerves, even in some of the best shows. If someone was to just get rid of it entirely except when it matters I would be happier for it. In other media, I can also say I'd get rid of the "It doesn't really matter, none of this is real lol." Of course it isn't real, but that doesn't mean we need to suspend our imagination to entertain your vision of things. C'mon dude/dudette, is it really that hard not to press yourself into the sometimes alright piece of media, and ruin it in the same breath. This includes the "It was all a dream" trope and the "It was all just a fake story".

TrueParanormal

Event Team Leader
Staff member
Event Team Leader
Event Team
Application Team
May 28, 2020
New Jersey
I have to agree with the 'It was all a dream' trope. It drives me absolutely mad because 99/100 times it ruins the story and makes the entire thing seem pointless. Oh, I just wasted *insert ridiculous amount of time* and you can't do anything about it! Another thing, not really a trope, that I hate with a passion is a flawless hero/heroine. This is typically why I hate superhero comics (and movies), as the characters are larger than life.. at least typically. Plus, the plots are overused now.

UltimateZZV

Staff member
Lore Team
Mar 16, 2017
Buffalo, Missouri
For me, it's less of which trope I dislike and more how they get handled. Any and every trope can be really good when the right author is using it. The one that's easiest to screw up an entire story with, however, is the romantic triangle subplot. There's a lot of good examples of it, and infinitely more bad examples. In a lot of cases, it can become something like

Character: "Hey [Protagonist]! We need to stop [Evil Entity] from [Taking Over/Destroying] the World!"
Protagonist: "Screw that! I need to figure out if I'm gonna sleep with the quiet hunk or the energetic hunk! That's obviously the more important dilemma for me!"
There are quite a few cases of this not happening, and the story plays into it well, but in pretty much every YA novel I read growing up, this was not the case. If y'all want a really good book, I recommend Gone by Michael Grant. It's "YA" in the same way that Avatar: The Last Airbender is a "kid's show," and incredibly well written. Stephen King even wrote a review for it, regarding the book as one of his favorites, as well as the direct inspiration for his later work Under The Dome.

Verando

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Application Team
Lore Team
Sep 21, 2017
United States
Was busy on the 26th. Today though..

Question of the Day, June 29th

If you could have dinner with anyone in history who would it be and why? Try to keep this civil.

Verando

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Application Team
Lore Team
Sep 21, 2017
United States
I would probably want to sit down to dinner with Moses. I'd like to talk to him about his impact in the world and how things have changed since his time. A lot of our modern history stems from moses, whether or not you believe he is a historical figure, he was at least based on some sort of real person.
If I had to choose a nonreligious person I would probably want to sit down with George washington and talk about the USA and where its gone through its history.

UltimateZZV

Staff member
Lore Team
Mar 16, 2017
Buffalo, Missouri
Huey Long! He seems like an extremely good conversationalist, and I idolize him in some regard. Dinner with The Kingfish would be magnificent. Theodore Rosevelt is a close second, with Don Revie, Cleopatra, and Alexander The Great tying at third.