Oklahoma, United States
The Tale of Banners Whitelist Application:

Section 1/4 - Out of Character Information

Minecraft Username(s):

- SecretRedBeard

Full UUID for your MineCraft account(s) (Found here):

- 9887b142-7ac9-4c2f-8155-47568f12268c

What is your age?
(We need to know this as our server has an age restriction)

Have you read the server rules? (Found here)

- Yes

Do you agree with the server rules?

- Yes

How did you hear about Tale of Banners?

- Google Search

Do you have any previous roleplay experience?
(Please give examples, no experience is acceptable)

- I have roleplayed on several servers, with the most recent on top
  1. Chronicles of Nyrheim
  2. Aethier
  3. The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall
  4. The Elder Scrolls: Akavir
  5. Fallout: Winter
  6. Romecraft

Additional Information: (If any)

- I have been a Dungeon Master for DnD for several years as well.

Section 2/4 - Terms & Definitions
Please answer these definitions using your own words, the definitions may be researched however not plagiarized (copy-pasted).

What do you define as roleplaying?

- Stepping into the role of a character, either of your own design, or a pregenerated one. While in this role, you act as said character would, reacting to social situations
as they would, instead of as you, the player, would.

Describe the term ‘powergaming’ in your own words:

- Powergaming is the process of using game systems or rules to ones own benefit, usually in the form of maximization of a certain ruling or flaw towards a specific goal. This is normally done to the exception of all other types of interaction, including storytelling or conversational roleplay.

Describe the term ‘metagaming’ in your own words:

- Metagaming is acting upon information that the Player, rather than the Character, is aware of. For example; if I, the player, am aware that a bandit raid is set up on the road ahead of me, where as my player has no need to change his course, I could then use my player knowledge to decide that he left something on the road behind him, and have him turn around.

What is a "Mary-Sue" character?

- A Mary Sue is a character without a flaw, as well as being obscenely powerful. For an example, see Rey "Skywalker" Palpatine, of the Sequel Trilogy.

What does the abbreviation ‘OOC’ mean & when should this be used?

- OOC is defined as "Out of Character", and should be used when out of roleplay, or when one needs to make a movement that their character would not normally be making, such as getting out of the way of a hazardous game object, such as a mob, or a sudden fire. It is understood in most situations that the Character has not moved from said position, and the action is considered "Out of Character"

Section 3/4 - Character Creation
Here you will create an example character that could exist in the server’s history and lore.

Provide us with an in-game screenshot of your character’s skin.

- 1599475012114.png

Name:

- Balduin Widling

Culture:

- Northern Oserian, Duchy of Oakenbri

Can your character read and write?:

- Yes

Story & Biography
-
Balduin of Widling is a young man of a Commoner's background. Early in his life, he displayed a small ammount of quick wit not usually found amongst the peasents, but something that would immediately set him upon a path of glory. His parents, a Freeholder with a small plot of land, and his wife, a local seamstress, decided to set aside what money they could to send Balduin to a scribe in the next hamlet over, so he would know his letters and be better able to provide a better life for himself.

After a few years of study, and the memorization of the many letters a scribe is required to know, Balduin had reached adulthood and found employment in the church, serving as a Bishops personal assistant. Though the life was fair, and he did not lack for food, he still hungered. For Balduin had harbored a secret hope for his entire life, one that every young boy his age had. One of adventure and battle, questing and the rescue of maidens fair. He yearned for the Knighthood, to be seen as a protector of the Realm.

As such, when the time came that the plague crept across the lands once again, and the village of Widling was struck a terrible blow, Balduin used it as an opportunity to seek a new life, selling what earthly possessions he had left, and spending his savings on passage to distant lands, where he endevoured to make a name for himself.

Section 4/4 - Open-ended questions
Please answer at least three of the questions to show how your character would interact with the world. Delete the spares (if applicable). Please include at least one paragraph for each question you answer.

Question 1

You stumble outside into the open air after some heavy drinking in an Oserian tavern. Just before you're about to pass an alleyway, a hooded man rushes out of it and runs for it - seemingly, he has both a blade and some jewellery on him. You take a quick peek in the alleyway to see a feminine figure collapsed on the ground, holding her hands over a bleeding wound in her torso. The thief is about to escape and the woman seems in critical condition. You...

- Balduin stands shocked for a moment, looking down the alleyway and then back off at the man. For a moment his body yearns to give chase to the man, the adreneline pumping fire into his soul. However, time spent in the monasteries has taught him different, he thinks to himself. Turning down the alley, he'd go to inspect the woman.

"...This wound is terrible indeed. Lean on me, let us go and fetch help."

Regardless of the womans response, Balduin would set himself to heave her up. Once that task was done, he would rush her to the nearest church, to beg aid of a priest with the knowledge to heal her.

"After we get you to safety, I will send the guard after that man. Just hold tight, and stay awake."

Question 2

You are on your way to the Korsian city of Telth to sell some wares. Upon reaching the front gates you are stopped by the guard. They deny you entry for the time being as the traffic into the city is too high. You are effectively forced to wait in the refugee camp located between the two gates for the time being. The camp is
filled with shopping stalls and refugees sleeping on the floor. How do you spend your time in the camp?

- "Lord Bishop, I will wait here at the refugee camp." Balduin would say to his employer, "If you would like to head back to that Inn down the road and wait?"

Balduin would spend a few minutes speaking to the Bishop, before taking charge of the items the Bishop wished to sell. That in hand, he would sit down at the edge of the Camp. These people, peasents most likely, were familiar to Balduin, as he started in life as they had. However, with the goods he has in his possession, he is ever more aware of how these people see him, and sits with his back to the gate, rather than the camp.

With his eye on the refugee folk, he would wittle away the time until his entry was permitted into Telth.

Question 3

You've gotten lost and wandered awhile into Drahl lands, eventually finding yourself in Crookmire Swamp, where you decide to settle for the night. Finding a meal to buy for the evening takes some effort, but you do come across an old crone in ragged clothing, who offers to sell you some sea-looking food. She doesn't ask much, but warns you that eating it is 'unpleasant' to outsiders. You...

- Not wishing to appear weak, Balduin would hand the coin to the Crone, and take the food. Retreating back to the area he had decided to camp, Balduin studies the strange...fish? Crab?

"What in the world did I buy here...Oh lord, how do I..."

Grunting in frustration, he takes out his small dagger, and begins to clean the beast as best as he could, taking what he could find that could be considered "meat" and setting it on a flat rock next to his campfire. When he was done, he wiped the dagger in the grass, and returned it to his belt.

Grimacing at the smell from his fingers, Balduin pushed the rock into the fire, immediately sending the meat sizzling as it cooked. With no seasonings to hand, Balduin would need to eat it as is, and the thought brought a frown to his face.

Question 4

In the midst of battle, you find yourself approaching a wounded enemy soldier. The soldier is on the floor, clearly in terror as they cradle one of the dead. Enemy forces begin to advance in the distance and you know you have to act fast. The soldier then grasps at a cloth and removes it from the dead soldiers pocket. They continue to cry, and starts calling the dead soldier's name in despair. Then the soldier glances up to see you - with your weapon up - but does not care of your approach, continuing to cradle the dead soldier. You…

- Balduin hesitates for a moment, the tip of his short sword wavering in the air. After a moment of listening to the man keen, he finally lowers the weapon, and ducks low, pressing himself up against what cover he could find. It was too late for him to try to run from the enemy, so he would have to hide. He could only hope that the enemy soldier out there would either be too out of it to inform his allies of his presence, or at least be thankful enough to be alive to extend the same courtesy to Balduin.

As he pressed low and closed his eyes against the sound of running feet, Balduin prayed all the harder that it would be the latter.

Question 5

You have wandered across a seemingly endless tundra for what have felt like days. A raging snowstorm makes you unable to see more than a few metres ahead. Being almost out of resources, you are delighted to find out that you have stumbled your way to a village. Upon closer inspection you find out it's a Northern village, and the residents are not very friendly towards strangers. What do you do in this dire situation?

- With trembling hands, Balduin would lower the hood of his cloak, and hold out his hands on the outskirts of the village. From there, he would call out to the villagers watching him. Once enough of them were aware of his existance, he would reach to his belt and locate his coin purse, light from the years of travel, and hold it infront of him.

"Please!" He'd call over to the men and women watching, "I just need a warm meal and a place to sleep. You can have it all, if you want, just grant me that mercy by the lord."

Lena

Staff member
Admin
Developer
Sep 27, 2015
The Mariana Trench

Congratulations! Your application has been approved.

You will now be whitelisted on the server.

A very strong application, you clearly know your way around roleplay and your character building is on point.

Your characters backstory is concise and references server lore and is also accurate to the Oserian way of life.

Your open ended questions show a lot of skill in roleplay and are well detailed.

All in all a very good read! Well done!

Make sure to take some last peeks at relevant information and guides.

You can use ToB’s Discord for communication and questions! You will find me and other whitelisters there too, ready to teach you the ropes.