Nov 14, 2020
United States
Section 1/4 - Out of Character Information

Minecraft Username(s):

- tuxedocatatonic

Full UUID for your MineCraft account(s) (Found here):

- bc276fe6-c213-4509-a29a-a67873439dff

What is your age?
(We need to know this as our server has an age restriction)

- 21 (almost 22)

Have you read the server rules? (Found here)

- Yes

Do you agree with the server rules?

- Yes

How did you hear about Tale of Banners?

- Google search

Do you have any previous roleplay experience?
(Please give examples, no experience is acceptable)

- I've never played on a full-on roleplay server before, but I occasionally roleplay in maps I downloaded on my own for single player. I write a lot in my character's voice whenever I do so.

Additional Information: (If any)

-

Section 2/4 - Terms & Definitions
Please answer these definitions using your own words, the definitions may be researched however not plagiarized (copy-pasted).

What do you define as roleplaying?

- Getting into the role of a character in a game or chat, making decisions and performing actions as them in a way that they would do them.

Describe the term ‘powergaming’ in your own words:

- Using things in the game (rules, mechanics, etc) to progress through the game as fast as possible, as opposed to focusing on your character. This mostly involves ignoring your character's personality in order to complete the game to its maximum potential.

Describe the term ‘metagaming’ in your own words:

- Using knowledge outside of the game in order to decide what your character will do or say, even if the character does not know it yet. For example, if you, in real life, know a secret about a noble, but your character doesn't, you cannot have your character reveal or allude to the secret in game.

What is a "Mary-Sue" character?

- A Mary Sue is a character that has special, overpowered abilities and is typically in good graces with everyone around them. Only good things happen around them, and they typically can never be killed, injured, or have anything detrimental happen to them.

What does the abbreviation ‘OOC’ mean & when should this be used?

- OOC stands for Out Of Character, and should be used when talking or doing things not involving the character, such as personally talking to someone else about something, instead of having your character talk to their character. It can also be used to tell another person you're roleplaying with that you're taking a break, or you need to do something, for example.

Section 3/4 - Character Creation
Here you will create an example character that could exist in the server’s history and lore.

Provide us with an in-game screenshot of your character’s skin.

- 2020-11-13_19.23.27-min.png

Name:

- Magni Vargr Birgerson

Culture:

- Northerner, Midlands Folk

Can your character read and write?:

- Yes

Story & Biography (please go into detail, we recommend two paragraphs but expect at least one. Please outline character history, personality traits and the things that make your character unique. Have fun with this section!)

(Please note although the character you apply with can commit illegal or immoral acts you cannot do these things on the server without an Intrigue application. This can be applied for once you are whitelisted.) Found here:

https://taleofbanners.com/forum/forums/intrigue-application.119/ (Intrigue Application)
(You are also able to apply with a noble but keep in mind you cannot play a noble character on the server unless you join an accepted noble house or apply for one.) Found here:

https://taleofbanners.com/forum/forums/noble-houses.142/ (Noble Houses)

- Magni Birgerson is a young Midlands man, born of Birger Orvarson and Erna Trygvedóttir. Most of his younger years were spent assisting his father around his workshop, exploring out in the wilderness, and reading the books in his mother's library. When he became of age, he began to help the hunters by crafting them weapons and armor, but he also busied himself with other activities. By day, he was a kind, literate boy, who would occasionally write poems, songs, and stories, but by night he would sneak out to other settlements and steal small amounts of items. He had never been caught, but even if he had, he was confident that he would be able to handle whatever punishment they would send his way.

People often describe him as cocky, and far too sure of his own ability, but very kind and caring of others' safety. He upholds his beliefs and will take direct action if he believes someone is being wronged. When he decides to steal from someone, he makes sure they have the resources to spare (and, oftentimes, have it coming) first. After growing up in a poor household, he wants to make sure he doesn't take from anyone who needs everything they can get. He tends to stick to the shadows as much as possible, and refuses to assault anyone for money. He will only attack someone if he deems that they deserve it beforehand, or have provoked him or his family in some way.

Section 4/4 - Open-ended questions
Please answer at least three of the questions to show how your character would interact with the world. Delete the spares (if applicable). Please include at least one paragraph for each question you answer.

Question 1

You stumble outside into the open air after some heavy drinking in an Oserian tavern. Just before you're about to pass an alleyway, a hooded man rushes out of it and runs for it - seemingly, he has both a blade and some jewellery on him. You take a quick peek in the alleyway to see a feminine figure collapsed on the ground, holding her hands over a bleeding wound in her torso. The thief is about to escape and the woman seems in critical condition. You...

- Assist the woman as quickly as possible. Rush her to a doctor or other person who can treat her wounds, and make sure she's safe before heading off. Afterwards, spend a while tracking down the thief who attacked her and give him what he deserves. See if I can get what was stolen back to the woman, and if not, try to get her something as similar as possible. After all, I am a Birgerson, and I will honor my father's name and protect whoever I can.

Question 2

You are on your way to the Korsian city of Telth to sell some wares. Upon reaching the front gates you are stopped by the guard. They deny you entry for the time being as the traffic into the city is too high. You are effectively forced to wait in the refugee camp located between the two gates for the time being. The camp is
filled with shopping stalls and refugees sleeping on the floor. How do you spend your time in the camp?

- I will spend time talking with the refugees and getting to know them. The living situation doesn't seem to be very much different than what I grew up with, so I'm fairly used to it already. Usually, if there are people willing to listen, I will tell stories or sing songs that I have written myself over the years. When I do eventually get called into the city, I will wish everyone the best of luck and sing one last song on the way out. Oftentimes, I leave everyone in a much better mood than they were in when I arrived.

Question 3

You've gotten lost and wandered awhile into Drahl lands, eventually finding yourself in Crookmire Swamp, where you decide to settle for the night. Finding a meal to buy for the evening takes some effort, but you do come across an old crone in ragged clothing, who offers to sell you some sea-looking food. She doesn't ask much, but warns you that eating it is 'unpleasant' to outsiders. You...

- Scarf it down! Clearly, it is a local dish, and I am nothing if not open to new cultural experiences. Besides, it looks good, and even if it's not the same kind of seafood we have in the Melting Lands, it's better than nothing. Even if it's unpleasant and leaves me feeling woozy in the morning, food is food, and if the locals can eat it, then so can I. Besides, the woman reminds me a lot of my grandmother, and I could never refuse her cooking. Literally.

Question 5

You have wandered across a seemingly endless tundra for what have felt like days. A raging snowstorm makes you unable to see more than a few metres ahead. Being almost out of resources, you are delighted to find out that you have stumbled your way to a village. Upon closer inspection you find out it's a Northern village, and the residents are not very friendly towards strangers. What do you do in this dire situation?

- Good thing I'm not that much of a stranger! In fact, I could swear I've been here before, to visit relatives. One of the residents recognizes me, and calls the other soldiers off. They welcome me into their largest dining hall, apologizing for the misunderstanding. Some of the others still side-eye me, but everyone begins to loosen up after a nice, big meal and some warm mead. I even lead the band in a well-known folk song, singing and dancing well into the night! In the morning, they assist me in gathering up enough supplies to help me back on my journey.

Acererak

Adam / Byrne
Admin
Jul 19, 2020
California, United States
twitter.com

Congratulations! Your application has been approved.

You will now be whitelisted on the server.

Make sure to take some last peeks at relevant information and guides.

You can use ToB’s Discord for communication and questions! You will find me and other whitelisters there too, ready to teach you the ropes.