ACCEPTED - Whitelist Application - Blockaxe | Tale of Banners Roleplaying Community Forum

ACCEPTED Whitelist Application - Blockaxe

Blockaxe333

Sep 17, 2020
Australia
Minecraft Username(s):

• Blockaxe333

Full UUID for your MineCraft account(s) (Found here):

• 415f84d1-c1b0-4eba-b219-a0445f715246

What is your age?
(We need to know this as our server has an age restriction)

Have you read the server rules? (Found here)

• Yes

Do you agree with the server rules?

• Yes

How did you hear about Tale of Banners?

• Searching "serious roleplay server", "minecraft" online

Do you have any previous roleplay experience?
(Please give examples, no experience is acceptable)

• About 9 years across various servers, although I wouldn't necessarily call all 9 of those years 'quality' in terms of my ability to roleplay.
I've frequented a few roleplay servers over the years:
  • Fallofanempire (long-time fan of their lore, not so much management at times, done quite a lot of fandom lore writing for them, can provide if required)
  • Elysium RP (I was banned in ~2016 due to a mishap with a staff member, apparently I reminded her of an ex-boyfriend who used to play on the server, long-story short I wasn't given much of a trial.)
  • Roleplaycraft (love their lighter RP aesthetic, not as much of an active community as I would like nowadays, worked on the basis of revised alchemy lore for them, never heard back, can provide if required)
  • Savvytech (My own attempt to launch a grimdark sci-fi server/modpack, stopped due to time constraints at that point in time, can provide source material as required)

Additional Information: (If any)

As you might have gathered, I'm the saintly trinity of fantasy-fed reader, amateur writer with a lore focus, and lover of history (particularly medieval and ancient). As such I always like to fluff-dive for lore and explore the nitty-gritty of it, admittedly some past servers have tended to neglect the grittier elements in favour of more clear-cut storylines.
-
Section 2/4 - Terms & Definitions
Please answer these definitions using your own words, the definitions may be researched however not plagiarized (copy-pasted).

What do you define as roleplaying?

• My personal definition?

"The act of roleplaying is when any one person acts intentionally to fulfill an imaginary or otherwise fictitious role as a character, whom is distinct from the role-player in personality and intent."

Describe the term ‘powergaming’ in your own words:

• Powergaming? When an individual plays feats or traits of their character which are otherwise unexplicable to the origins, nature, and ability of that character. This in my experience tends to take a focus on either the magical/alchemical ability of a mage, in that they perform wildly powerful acts of magic without respect to their experience as a practitioner OR in combat; wherein you see 'powergamers' fighting off dozens of foes at a time. (A result of many kids watching lord of the rings, I think, but not reading the book and understanding just how legendary the feats of the protagonists are in respect to the lay-soldier)

Describe the term ‘metagaming’ in your own words:

• Metagaming is the ugly bigger sister to powergaming; It is the act of roleplaying a character with knowledge, intent or otherwise general awareness that is not befitting or explicable to the perspective of that character. Common examples would include knowing about some foreign political affair like, four realms over with no prior contact to messengers, travellers, etc.

What is a "Mary-Sue" character?

• I don't like to assume the gender of the -Sue, (Gary-sue's are a thing as well, and are in-fact more common based on playerbase gender ratios), but the -Sue is an individual that combines elements of Powergaming and Metagaming, in my experience, to otherwise seem unassailable to the common flaws of stamina, intellect, strength, or reasoning that an actual person would contain. This lack of weakness, I find, stems from the needs of the player of the -Sue character to fulfill some explicit or implicit power fantasy, I've seen it, as a result, moreso in younger players with a less seasoned understanding of realistic character writing.

What does the abbreviation ‘OOC’ mean & when should this be used?

• Out-Of-Character: It should be used for discussions of a mechanical or colloquial nature that don't reference in-character acts, definitely important to keep this distinct to IC (in-character) actions elsewise you risk flirting with the metagaming line.
Section 3/4 - Character Creation
Here you will create an example character that could exist in the server’s history and lore.

Provide us with an in-game screenshot of your character’s skin.

• Attached accordingly

Name: Heironymous "Ven" 'Venuresson

-

-

Culture: Southern Oserian (Tarishawi?)

-

Can your character read and write?:

• Written ability extends to that of a tradesmen, numbers, curt dictation for letters to clients and signage, reading is fluent although comprehension of more arcane terms is difficult, if possible at all.

Parnosti II Treversjam, a son of farriers generations since, was Heironymous's great great, great Grandfather and is a subject of much reverence by the latter. He left home young, to escape a forced marriage with a feuding families daughter whom with all respect, he could not come to love in due time. He was unforgiven for many years, peddling and conning his living across the cities of the Osserian people, a vagrant squire who's vocation was the manipulation of others to feed himself.

Intending to make something of himself, proving his family wrong, he has saved up enough over the time it took from him to transition from boy to man, to buy past the disrespect that the Kharman dunes held for himself, and into an apprenticeship under a master-builder. Some few years into this apprenticeship, his mother tracked him down, intent or seeing her son return to fight in the Oakenbri de jure conflict, and it was as such that he refused and became verbatim excomunicated from his family, his people, and his way of life for all time. In his gifted pride, he had not the humility to accept such a flaw as bowing down to his father, instead seeking fortune and glory as an architect of repute.

However, not long after he was removed from this apprenticeship, once again vagrant after attempts to court a local butchers daughter went asunder. His legacy is then-on remembered as a peddler, travelling smith and woo-er of peasant girls. His two sons were gifted to him from a farmer's daughter set to marry a local soldier, some two years after he last saw her. In this way his legacy of bastards was built, as layers of brick of laid, with each generation. He built ups his caravan with the help of a few close friends he made his life, and his sons. The Vennuresonn's travelling Utilitaire` is a multi-generational caravan convoy known for its trinkets trawled from the markets stretching the breadth of Esna, as well as its services for experieced minor smithing and storytelling.

Hieronymus, looking up to Parnosti his entire life, carries a deep-seated sorrow in his heart for never having felt a home that didn't rock with the cobblestones of the streets, nor warm meals every night after a long day of setting up the puppets, nor the embrace of a mother whose touch left the living quarters decidedly more homely. So was it his choice to enlist as a mercenary in an Osserian band, one of the few vocations his bloodline were permitted via that most ancient of exiles, for an exile may fight for the motherland and die in her stead, saving true Osserian soldiers from needing to spill their humours upon the earth.

Escaping his life as a peddler and a peddlers-son, Hieronymus found killing distasteful after some few years in the service of these mercenaries, who in reality were little better then upscale bandits, and as a result left them as he left his only family, to return home to Osseria on that oh-so-long of roads, on foot and alone with scarce coin to boot. He is to arrive in the nation and land of his distant relatives with the intent of building something his children could be proud of; something permanent, and in doing so perhaps use his patchwork skills as a gypsy smith to finish the apprenticeship his great great great great grandfather started.

Section 4/4 - Open-ended questions
Please answer at least three of the questions to show how your character would interact with the world. Delete the spares (if applicable). Please include at least one paragraph for each question you answer.

Question 1

You stumble outside into the open air after some heavy drinking in an Oserian tavern. Just before you're about to pass an alleyway, a hooded man rushes out of it and runs for it - seemingly, he has both a blade and some jewellery on him. You take a quick peek in the alleyway to see a feminine figure collapsed on the ground, holding her hands over a bleeding wound in her torso. The thief is about to escape and the woman seems in critical condition. You...

Now to explain Ven's response, one has to understand that in the peddlers world, this is what is known as a "northern keg", in that all it would take is one false move to cause further injury to that poor lady, or particularly to himself, remembering that not all Oserian young men are brave for the sake of being brave, a life on the road seeing all sorts of things gives a man perspective on just how meaningless just one village is in respect to Esna major.

With this in mind, Ven's focus is on the preservation of life for the lady, she may not like him a great deal for losing her valuables, but ultimately a human life is the greater source of wealth in the long run. Valuables can be bought and sold, but human life is a consistence.

Ven would go over to her, sure that the thief is coming back with a knife to stab him too, and administer the care and aid required to stop the bleeding, within his knowledge as a Oserian Gypsy, death by a thousand cuts is the easiest way to die on the road with a sharp-object related profession, particularly with infection.

Once she's stabilised, asserting vocal cries for help may be necessary to get help with moving the lady to a healer.

Question 2

You are on your way to the Korsian city of Telth to sell some wares. Upon reaching the front gates you are stopped by the guard. They deny you entry for the time being as the traffic into the city is too high. You are effectively forced to wait in the refugee camp located between the two gates for the time being. The camp is
filled with shopping stalls and refugees sleeping on the floor. How do you spend your time in the camp?

• I spend my time amongst the elders, the old folk in the camp, it is the eldest who sit around the most whom hear the most about the going ons without being preoccupied by such as a vocation or the fight for survival that is a daily endeavour in city-life. An understanding of local customs, if needed, and of recent going ons may alert Ven to some crucial detail that would assist in selling his wares, like a shortage of bread due to the arrests of some baker therein. Equally speaking, maintaining awareness from travellers abroad of events on the road is important to understanding the macro-economic relationships of shortages and surplus's between towns and regions.

Question 3

You've gotten lost and wandered awhile into Drahl lands, eventually finding yourself in Crookmire Swamp, where you decide to settle for the night. Finding a meal to buy for the evening takes some effort, but you do come across an old crone in ragged clothing, who offers to sell you some sea-looking food. She doesn't ask much, but warns you that eating it is 'unpleasant' to outsiders. You...

• Eat right on up, this isn't my first rodeo with foreign cuisine, a life on the road has taught Ven two primary things when it comes to food, besides that salt always improves the flavour.
  1. Always say yes to eating something unless it looks uncooked
  2. Always maintain politeness, even if you're sure whatever you just ate was a snail's innards, the last thing you want is to offend some politically-affluent elder in a village full of Korsian warriors.
  3. unspoken rule is try new things, y'never know, right?

Question 4

In the midst of battle, you find yourself approaching a wounded enemy soldier. The soldier is on the floor, clearly in terror as they cradle one of the dead. Enemy forces begin to advance in the distance and you know you have to act fast. The soldier then grasps at a cloth and removes it from the dead soldiers pocket. They continue to cry, and starts calling the dead soldier's name in despair. Then the soldier glances up to see you - with your weapon up - but does not care of your approach, continuing to cradle the dead soldier. You…

• Low is the soldier who does not show honour in the face of brutal portents. To slaughter this man for feeling compassion in his fallen comrade is as immoral and evil as forcing the piglet to watch the mother be slaughtered with assured comprehension.
  • I would lower my weapon after ascertaining himself as a non-threat, a prisoner-of-war has more time to grieve then a corpse, so capturing him with fellow allied soldiers is the primary objective.

Question 5

You have wandered across a seemingly endless tundra for what have felt like days. A raging snowstorm makes you unable to see more than a few metres ahead. Being almost out of resources, you are delighted to find out that you have stumbled your way to a village. Upon closer inspection you find out it's a Northern village, and the residents are not very friendly towards strangers. What do you do in this dire situation?

• As my great-great-great grandfather once showed the way, so too much I buy the civility and respect with coin that I cannot earn through the virtue of conversation and cultural awareness.
  • Ven would buy a meal and a drink from whatever local vendor/inn was open, and use that opportunity as a customer to open up a local into conversation about obtaining goods, a classic conman's trick, money in the other guys pocket always makes him a little more friendly.
  • Should buying a meal and drink not work, cultural appropriation oughta work by exposing the DIY northern tattoo's on ven's upper arms, done in his youth with his sister after visiting the north for the first time. To the undiscerning, it might appear as if this Osserian-looking man might be indeed a half-breed of some ill-fortune.

Attachments

• VenSkin.PNG
    VenSkin.PNG
    106.1 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: PurpleKnight

Acererak

Adam / Byrne
Jul 19, 2020
California, United States
twitter.com

Congratulations! Your application has been approved. Literately a god application, this is going on the fridge.

You will now be whitelisted on the server.

Make sure to take some last peeks at relevant information and guides.

You can use ToB’s Discord for communication and questions! You will find me and other whitelisters there too, ready to teach you the ropes.

Reactions: PurpleKnight