Part 1 of 4
OOC
MineCraft Username(s): BoopDaSnoot

How old are you? 20

What is your favourite colour? Purple

Have you read the rules? Of course.

Do you fully agree to the rules and...
If yes, which is your favourite?
I think that 'Use common sense' is a good rule, and shows trust in players. It also covers loopholes and workarounds of the other rules.

How did you hear about Tale of Banners?
I saw a recruitment post on the Minecraft Forums, and it looked interesting.

What is your previous roleplay experience?
I don't have an awful lot - I've played on a smattering of RP servers in the past, but I also have a lot of fantasy writing experience under my belt which can help me out.

Is there anything you would like to add?
Not really.

Part 2 of 4

Terms & definitions

What is roleplaying?
Roleplaying is putting yourself in a character's shoes, and acting vicariously through that character - acting and speaking as they would, not as yourself.

What is powergaming?
Powergaming is the act of forcing actions upon other players within roleplay, for example: "My character jumped out of a bush and instantly slit the throat of your character." It forces consequences on other players or situations without giving them a chance to react.

What is metagaming?
Metagaming involves using information in character which you acquired through external means, i.e. your character acting on information which he/she couldn't possibly know in their current situation.

What is a Mary-Sue?
A Mary-Sue is a character which is just good at everything when it becomes convenient. Such as a character who has been a housewife and nurse their whole life, but also suddenly has exceptional combat skills.​

Part 3 of 4
Character
MineCraft skin's screenshot: This is not on my Minecraft character yet, but is the one I will use (or something very similar): http://prntscr.com/hldvgj http://prntscr.com/hldvst

Name: Lucia Blueforge

Race: Oserian

Story & details:

Lucia hailed from a small mining village at the foot of the mountains. A girl with only a few close friends, she spent many an hour wandering the forest near her village. Her father was one of the many village blacksmiths, and she grew up watching him work the forge.

The miners of Lucia’s village had, a number of years prior, accidentally stumbled across a Yaelk settlement beneath the base of the mountain. The subterranean dwellers had not taken kindly to their intrusion, and a feud had broken out, both sides laying traps, taking captives, and some being killed on sight. By the time Lucia had reached adolescence, the feud had reached a stalemate; no Yaelk ventured out of their caves, and no Oserians dared go near the settlement.

One day, while walking in the forests, Lucia came across an injured Yaelk. The creature was unarmed and struggling with a deep wound in its leg. After only a brief moment of hesitation, she decided to save its life using a herbal salve she kept in her knapsack, and a strip of cloth torn from her tunic. The creature was hostile at first, but calmed down and eyed her warily as she bandaged its wound.

A bond grew between the pair. She would bring it food and water, and over the following weeks, basic communication was established between them. She learned his name was ‘Grotal’, and each day, she could see him getting stronger. One day, she returned to their spot in the forest to find him missing.

She would continue to return to that spot every day, hoping to see him again. She felt even more lonely after has disappearance. She continued to leave food and water, but it was always torn apart by the birds and other creatures of the forest. After giving up hope, she returned to the spot for the last time - and Grotal was there.

He looked healthy, and seemed to smile as he handed her something wrapped in cloth. It was a small metal trinket, crudely forged in the shape of an apple.

Grotal would return each day after that, and their meetings became longer and longer. He would bring her new trinkets every once in a while, and she would accept them gratefully. Their communication became clearer, and soon she could converse in Grotal’s rasping, hissing language. He struggled to learn her own, but it did not matter. She listened for hours to him explaining the culture of his people. He told of their history, his heritage, and how they were treated by the Oserians. He also told her of their combat tactics - one day, he brought with him a curved blade, and explained how they were doused in poisonous salves and used for stealthy ‘cutter’ attacks. He explained the process of forging them, and Lucia with her knowledge of her father’s forge was able to visualise it.

Lucia also visited the library at her village to read about Yaelk and Drahlic culture. However, the books she found did not describe the noble ancestry of her friend. Instead, they described Yaelk as primitive nuisances, who only thought of bloodlust and violence. She vowed that she would prove this was not the case.

After collecting a number of Grotal’s trinkets, she decided she would return the favour. One night, she snuck into her father’s forge, and crafted a small Cutter blade using the instructions Grotal had told her. It was not her finest work, but she was proud.

The following day, she headed into the forest once more, unaware that she was being followed. She met with Grotal as usual, and was about to unveil her creation, when someone she knew - a school friend, Kirk - appeared from the bushes.
“Luce, what is that thing? Get away from it! It’ll attack us!” he cried. Grotal growled from behind me, and assumed a defensive stance. Kirk drew a knife from his belt. She stepped between them.
“Don’t worry. Grotal is my friend. He won’t hurt you.” she said. Kirk looked nervously between her and Grotal. Then he yelled,
“The hell he won’t!” and charged past me, knife raised. Grotal was not ready for the attack, and was speared by the knife as Kirk barrelled into him. His blade was knocked out of his hand, and he was pushed up against a tree.

“NO!” Lucia cried, and instinct took over. She unwrapped the Cutter blade she’d made, and ran at Kirk. He barely had time to react before she shoved him off Grotal. In his panic, Kirk thought this was another Yaelk, and lunged towards Lucia… and her outstretched blade. He looked down in confusion, and Lucia screamed. He slumped to the ground as she let go of the blade.

She ran to Grotal. The wound in his chest was bleeding as he took slow breaths. He handed her a trinket shaped like a tiny sword, his latest creation, as he closed his eyes.

Barely able to process the grief, Lucia turned to Kirk, who had already expired. Knowing she would be unable to live in her village once Kirk’s disappearance was noticed, she quickly gathered up what she could from the scene - her forged cutter blade, her knapsack, and Grotal’s blade.

She travelled to the edge of the forest, and as night fell, she snuck into her house and grabbed what she could for her travels. She strung Grotal’s trinkets onto a length of twine, and wore them around her neck as a tribute to her friend. She looked back once at the village before heading back into the trees.

Lucia is a travelling merchant. She buys small items to sell on, just to make enough to live on comfortably. She prefers to reside in her own shelters outside of cities and towns, and survives on foraged food from the surrounding forest. She is always seen carrying two Drahlic cutter blades, and a large necklace of metal charms hangs around her neck. She often tells those she meets of the Drahl, and hopes to someday travel into their midst.

Part 4 of 4
Open-ended questions
At least three must be answered. Delete the spare(if applicable).
Q1
You find yourself in an arena surrounded by high sandstone walls. Much like all the dozen of strangers in the arena, you only have a robe - the single weapon is a spear on the ground, in the very centre of the arena. You are a short sprint's distance from it - closer than most of the others - but even so the others have already spotted it and are running to grab it. They seem to be ready to fight for their lives.

Recognising the spear as the threat, I begin to sprint towards it too. The person opposite me looks like they are about to beat me to it, but I leap forward towards the ground and grab it near the end of the handle. My opponent takes hold of the other end, and nearly yanks it out of my hand. He then gets tackled to the ground by another enemy. I back up quickly with the spear in my hand. I gauge its weight, and hurl it up, over the top of the sandstone walls. My opponents stop running towards me, and stare as the spear disappears. We stand in confusion, and the gates which we entered the arena through open back up. I seem to have delayed the fight. Now to work out a plan to escape.

Q2
You're heading home after some drinking at the tavern. Just before you're about to pass an alleyway, a hooded man rushes out of it and runs for it - seemingly, he has both a blade and some jewellery on him. You take a quick peek in the alleyway to see a feminine figure collapsed on the ground, holding her hands over a bleeding wound in her torso. The thief is about to escape and the woman seems in critical condition. You...

Make sure the thief is gone before approaching the woman. Shaking, I grab the herbal salves from my backpack, and begin applying them to the wound. Tears cloud my eyes as I apply pressure, and my cracked voice calls out for help. I reach up to dry my eyes, and when I reopen them, Grotal’s pained face stares back at me. I blink, and the face of the woman is back. Fortunately, some others have heard the commotion and are running towards us. I let them tend to the woman as I back slowly away, turn, and leave the scene.

Q3
You've gotten lost and wandered awhile, eventually finding yourself in Crookmire Swamp, where you decide to settle for the night. Finding a meal to buy for the evening takes some effort, but you do come across an old crone in ragged clothing, who offers to sell you some sea-looking food. She doesn't ask much, but warns you that eating it is 'unpleasant' to outsiders. You...

Politely decline. I had seen a grove of bushes at the top of a nearby hill, which I believed would hold berries. I’m willing to take the risk of missing a meal than that of eating dodgy seafood - it was never my favourite anyway.

Verando

Lore Team Leader
Staff member
Lore Team Leader
Application Team
Sep 21, 2017
United States
Hello, my name is Verando and I am reviewing your application today. It has been put on ...
PENDING
  • I enjoyed reading the backstory. Its well written, but unfortunately you added the Yaelk race. There are no Yaelk. I can see what you can replace it with instead, but its not going to be the same.
  • You might want to message me if you want to develop the backstory further.
This will likely take a lot of work, but if you get it done, you will near assuredly get in.
Please make the challenges above within the span of 72 hours from the time reviewed. Failure to do so will result in denial of the application and you will have to reapply 24 hours from the denial date. Message me or reply here when you made the changed and I'll take another look.

*Note that lore is under construction. PM me for more information

Time / Date reviewed: December 10th, 2017 5:10 PM CST

Verando

Lore Team Leader
Staff member
Lore Team Leader
Application Team
Sep 21, 2017
United States
Accepted~
Welcome to Esna.
We are currently still in development and hope to release some time early next year. Message me if you want to know anything or help out.
Sorry about the mistake.