ACCEPTED - Whitelist Application Deth Glitch | Tale of Banners Roleplaying Community Forum

ACCEPTED Whitelist Application Deth Glitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deth_Glitch

May 21, 2020
Why is my location required?
The Tale of Banners Whitelist Application:

Section 1/4 - Out of Character Information

Minecraft Username(s):

- Deth_Glitch

Full UUID for your MineCraft account(s) (Found here):

- 63fff657-115c-41b7-b53b-ec513ef1a297

What is your age?
(We need to know this as our server has an age restriction)

Have you read the server rules? (Found here)

- Yes

Do you agree with the server rules?

- Yes

How did you hear about Tale of Banners?

- Planet Minecraft (Was looking for a good RP server)

Do you have any previous roleplay experience?
(Please give examples, no experience is acceptable)

- Yes, I do a lot of Forum RP on RPNation but also spent a lot of time on a Server Called Heroes of Galderon before it died

Additional Information: (If any)

-
Section 2/4 - Terms & Definitions

Please answer these definitions using your own words, the definitions may be researched however not plagiarized (copy-pasted).

What do you define as roleplaying?

- Its in the name, Playing a Role. Its a form of improvisational acting that tends to have the added benefit of mechanics that keep you immersed. Popular examples are things like Dungeons and Dragons and while the term RPG exists, many such RPG's are not really role playing in the same sense. Rather you are put into an immersive environment but they tend not to incentivise you to RP properly

Describe the term ‘powergaming’ in your own words:

- I have heard many descriptions of it, some of which get close to contradictory but most I would say define it as assuming success in unknown or chance based situation OR taking control of another players actions and deciding for them. Example of the first would be to say your character shoots a bow and gets it in the center when a system exists to define their chance and accuracy without using that system and an example of the latter would be to say you shoot an arrow at someone and it hits them in the knee before the other character can respond to say if they dodged it or put a shield up to block it or what have you

Describe the term ‘metagaming’ in your own words:

- Simple, metagaming or 'metaing' is using knowledge that your character does not have to dictate the characters actions, Such as being told OOC that someone is going to try and kill you so IC you stay at home with the door locked and a shotgun propped against the door in readiness rather than your original plan to go grocery shopping

What is a "Mary-Sue" character?

- I found out the term came from a Star-Trek fanzine the other day, useless fact for you if you didn't know it, but it refers to an overly perfect character, often an idealised version of the player and is the best at everything, or something similar but to a lesser extent (Characters should have flaws, flaws and conflict drive RP and cause stuff to happen!)

What does the abbreviation ‘OOC’ mean & when should this be used?

- Out Of Character, it should be used when you are talking as yourself rather then your character. It is best used when something happens OOC that will temporarily effect IC and you need to let people know about it or just generally when you need for some reason to talk as yourself a good example could be ((Two seconds guys my Dog just knocked over my glass and I need to clean up the wine before it stains))

Section 3/4 - Character Creation
Here you will create an example character that could exist in the server’s history and lore.

Provide us with an in-game screenshot of your character’s skin.

- 2020-05-21_01.00.56.png

Name:

- Valdar Yngersson

Culture:

- Northerner

Can your character read and write?:

- He can read at a rudimentary level but with difficulty and cannot write

Story & Biography
- Born illegitimately to the Daughter of a Thane he was treated well though never given any titles. He never knew his father and his mother never spoke of him but his mother loved him and treated him well. As he grew up he was expected to go into the trade as a smith and even became apprenticed to one for some time as a young lad. But as he drank at night with many a traveller he heard tell of far off lands and adventure and, by the time he was a man, he was already gone.

In the early years, he took up service on a boat, helping to travel port to port and carry cargo to and from the boat. He was never a weak man, but after months training to be a smith he was far from it. Often in towns, he would end up the centre of a fight as someone would find someway to slight him. It didn't matter that Valdar was a big man as in all such fights he was an outsider so numbers were always against him and he would often lose, which only fueled his young temper.

Eventually, he tired even of this life and began to travel the roads, offering his service as muscle or protection for caravans. Sure it resulted in less exotic destinations but it allowed him to spend longer in places and discover more of the culture and people of the world. This helped to calm his fire as he grew older. Yet one more change had to happen before he would become the man he is today, however, when a caravan he was protecting was set upon he first tried to fight them off but quickly saw he was outmatched and, despite his pride knew that to argue would be death so surrendered to the group, expecting them to kill him anyway. Instead, they saw him fight, some even nursing the bruises he caused and offered to let him join them. He could tell by their tone that to refuse the offer was death and that they would likely kill the members of the caravan that had survived so he accepted, on the condition they let them live.

He knew better than to ask they be allowed to keep any belongings but hoped he could spare their lives. They accepted, he learned, purely because none of their masks had fallen lose in the fray so they felt secure regardless. They took all their valuables and even their animals before letting them go with only the clothes on their backs, which Valder could see they were considering taking also, and so began the next chapter in Valdar's life. A Theif.

He wasn't a fan of this life, but eventually grew used to it. He managed to cool the fire in some of the group he travelled with too, likely sparing more lives, though that's not to say he stopped them killing, only lessened it. He himself killed his fair share in the work. As he approached a year of this they were set upon by local soldiers who had been informed by someone he had persuaded the group to spare. They fell out and tried to kill him, only though swift thinking and stealing the horse of the groups leader had he managed to escape. He rode long and hard away from where they had camped that night, hoping to leave them in the dust and close that chapter of his life and live a more settled, law-abiding life.

In the intervening years, he slowly travelled from town to town back to where he had suddenly taken flight from, over a decade prior.

Section 4/4 - Open-ended questions
Please answer at least three of the questions to show how your character would interact with the world. Delete the spares (if applicable). Please include at least one paragraph for each question you answer.

Question 1

You stumble outside into the open air after some heavy drinking in an Oserian tavern. Just before you're about to pass an alleyway, a hooded man rushes out of it and runs for it - seemingly, he has both a blade and some jewellery on him. You take a quick peek in the alleyway to see a feminine figure collapsed on the ground, holding her hands over a bleeding wound in her torso. The thief is about to escape and the woman seems in critical condition. You...

- Let the thief go and rush over to the woman, hoping to slow her bleeding and take her somewhere she can be cared for while shouting to catch the attention of any town guards who could pursue the attacker and theif

Question 2

You are on your way to the Korsian city of Telth to sell some wares. Upon reaching the front gates you are stopped by the guard. They deny you entry for the time being as the traffic into the city is too high. You are effectively forced to wait in the refugee camp located between the two gates for the time being. The camp is
filled with shopping stalls and refugees sleeping on the floor. How do you spend your time in the camp?

- I find somewhere with people and activity to pass the time in good company and conversation, hopefully with a nice drink to lighten the mood

Question 3

You've gotten lost and wandered awhile into Drahl lands, eventually finding yourself in Crookmire Swamp, where you decide to settle for the night. Finding a meal to buy for the evening takes some effort, but you do come across an old crone in ragged clothing, who offers to sell you some sea-looking food. She doesn't ask much, but warns you that eating it is 'unpleasant' to outsiders. You...

- I trust that, while unpleasant, it should sate the hunger in my belly and so cook it until its almost burned in the hope of making it more palatable

Question 4

In the midst of battle, you find yourself approaching a wounded enemy soldier. The soldier is on the floor, clearly in terror as they cradle one of the dead. Enemy forces begin to advance in the distance and you know you have to act fast. The soldier then grasps at a cloth and removes it from the dead soldiers pocket. They continue to cry, and starts calling the dead soldier's name in despair. Then the soldier glances up to see you - with your weapon up - but does not care of your approach, continuing to cradle the dead soldier. You…

- I motion for the wounded soldier to pretend to be dead and to stay quiet before returning to the fray. Provided I survive the battle I then go looking for the soldier hoping to help them with their wound and see if I can find out where they are from, the town or village, so I can return them there if they survive

Question 5

You have wandered across a seemingly endless tundra for what have felt like days. A raging snowstorm makes you unable to see more than a few metres ahead. Being almost out of resources, you are delighted to find out that you have stumbled your way to a village. Upon closer inspection you find out it's a Northern village, and the residents are not very friendly towards strangers. What do you do in this dire situation?

- I greet my countrymen and ask if they would let a stranger from another part of the region dine with them this night and share stories.

Verando

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Application Team
Lore Team
Sep 21, 2017
United States

Congratulations! Your application has been approved.
You will now be whitelisted on the server.
Make sure to take some last peeks at relevant information and guides.
I would also recommend looking into making an intrigue app due to the character's past thievery.
You can use ToB’s Discord for communication and questions! You will find me and other whitelisters there too, ready to teach you the ropes.

Status
Not open for further replies.