Section 1/4 - Out of Character Information

Minecraft Username(s):
adam_unavailable
-

Full UUID for your MineCraft account(s) (Found here):
1113347e-7f70-4a0f-b86d-37c9cf99da8d
-

What is your age?
(We need to know this as our server has an age restriction)

16, turning 17 at the end of August.
-

Have you read the server rules? (Found here)
Yes.
-

Do you agree with the server rules?
Yes.
-

How did you hear about Tale of Banners?
I like dungeons and dragons, I but haven't been able to play lately. I researched roleplay servers and this was one of the results.
-

Do you have any previous roleplay experience?
(Please give examples, no experience is acceptable)

I don't have any experience on any roleplay servers, but I have experience with roleplaying in D&D games.
-

Additional Information: (If any)

-
Section 2/4 - Terms & Definitions

Please answer these definitions using your own words, the definitions may be researched however not plagiarized (copy-pasted).

What do you define as roleplaying?
To me roleplaying is acting as a character, usually one you have created. You speak and react to situations in the way your character would.
-

Describe the term ‘powergaming’ in your own words:
Powergaming is abusing game mechanics to give yourself unfair advantages, and it usually makes roleplay boring.
-

Describe the term ‘metagaming’ in your own words:
Metagaming is using knowledge that you have but your character doesn't, this breaks immersion and is generally frowned upon.
-

What is a "Mary-Sue" character?
A Mary Sue is an overpowered and/or unrealistic character. They're usually badly written.
-

What does the abbreviation ‘OOC’ mean & when should this be used?
OOC means 'out of character'. This abbreviation should be used whenever you're speaking as yourself and not as your character to avoid confusion.
-
Section 3/4 - Character Creation

Here you will create an example character that could exist in the server’s history and lore.

Provide us with an in-game screenshot of your character’s skin.

-

Name:
Adan Abdirahman.
-

-

Culture:
Korsian, from the city of Telth to be specific.
-

Can your character read and write?:
Yes.
-

Story & Biography (please go into detail, we recommend two paragraphs but expect at least one. Please outline character history, personality traits and the things that make your character unique. Have fun with this section!)

Adan hails from a wealthy family; not quite as wealthy as they used to be, but still living a comfortable lifestyle. His family is of the richer common folk, consisting of artisans of the musical variety. Being an only child, he was coddled by his parents; to the point of being spoiled. This pampered upbringing has resulted in him being somewhat lazy, greatly disliking doing work (especially work of the physical variety). He is used to things going his way and quickly becomes discouraged when they do not. Adan is one to take the easy way out whenever possible, preferring not to put up a fight when in trouble. At times he is frustrated with himself for being this way, but he is unsure how to change himself.

Adan enjoys the arts, particularly music (which is no surprise, considering his family). He knows how to play the harp and flute, though he prefers the latter. Adan enjoys playing upbeat and cheerful music, especially when he is upset. He aspires to become a famous bard someday, which is what drives him to head north to make a name for himself as a musician.

Aside from music, Adan also enjoys visual arts such as illustration and embroidery (it is worth noting, however, that he greatly dislikes painting; finding it a messy and tedious process). Due to his artistic upbringing, Adan has a particular focus on aesthetics; he appreciates vivid colours (particularly shades of pink) and anything shiny.

Other information:
  • Adan tends to be friendly with everyone he meets (more so with those he dislikes, strangely enough)
  • Adan is a picky eater
  • Adan also has a notorious sweet tooth
  • Adan is not very good at holding his alcohol and tends to be quite gloomy when drunk, causing him to dislike drinking.
  • The reason he dislikes painting (aside from it being messy) is that he doesn’t think he’s very good at it, causing him to become discouraged and avoid practicing, which in turn worsens his skills
  • Adan is very talkative, to the point of being annoying at times
(Please note although the character you apply with can commit illegal or immoral acts you cannot do these things on the server without an Intrigue application. This can be applied for once you are whitelisted.) Found here:

https://taleofbanners.com/forum/forums/intrigue-application.119/ (Intrigue Application)
(You are also able to apply with a noble but keep in mind you cannot play a noble character on the server unless you join an accepted noble house or apply for one.) Found here:

https://taleofbanners.com/forum/forums/noble-houses.142/ (Noble Houses)
-

Section 4/4 - Open-ended questions
Please answer at least three of the questions to show how your character would interact with the world. Delete the spares (if applicable). Please include at least one paragraph for each question you answer.

Question 1

You stumble outside into the open air after some heavy drinking in an Oserian tavern. Just before you're about to pass an alleyway, a hooded man rushes out of it and runs for it - seemingly, he has both a blade and some jewellery on him. You take a quick peek in the alleyway to see a feminine figure collapsed on the ground, holding her hands over a bleeding wound in her torso. The thief is about to escape and the woman seems in critical condition. You...

Adan is frozen for a moment, still drunk and very dizzy. His eyes dart over to the hooded man, and then to the lady in the alleyway. He briefly contemplates rushing after the man before dismissing the notion.

‘I doubt I could take on anyone while sober, let alone drunk. I’m not much of a fighter anyways, I’d be better off helping the lady.’

Adan makes his way over to the lady in the alleyway, stumbling slightly. He gingerly kneels down, doing his best to avoid the blood.

“Are- are you alright? That doesn’t look very good,” he says looking down at the wound and grimacing, feeling slightly queasy, “Not good at all…”

‘I’m not qualified for this at all…. I should really call for help.’
-

Question 2

You are on your way to the Korsian city of Telth to sell some wares. Upon reaching the front gates you are stopped by the guard. They deny you entry for the time being as the traffic into the city is too high. You are effectively forced to wait in the refugee camp located between the two gates for the time being. The camp is
filled with shopping stalls and refugees sleeping on the floor. How do you spend your time in the camp?

Adan pouts, feeling offended at being denied entry, especially considering the fact that he literally grew up here.

‘Who exactly does this man think he is? The nerve of some people!’

He smiles brightly at the guards, cheerfully thanking them for their time before turning to the shopping stalls. At the very least he might be able to turn this into a shopping venture.

‘Perhaps I could find someone selling thread, my embroidery kit is looking rather empty…’

He nods to himself, resolving to find a stall selling thread for the time being.
-

Question 3

You've gotten lost and wandered awhile into Drahl lands, eventually finding yourself in Crookmire Swamp, where you decide to settle for the night. Finding a meal to buy for the evening takes some effort, but you do come across an old crone in ragged clothing, who offers to sell you some sea-looking food. She doesn't ask much, but warns you that eating it is 'unpleasant' to outsiders. You...

Adan looks at the seafood, then at the old lady, then back to the seafood again. He really, really doesn’t want to eat it, but the only other option is starvation.

‘Perhaps starvation wouldn’t be too bad…’

He feels a pang of hunger in his stomach.

‘On second thought, it doesn’t look that bad.’

He smiles, slightly strained, at the woman and purchases the meal. The woman had described it as ‘unpleasant’. Adan wonders in what way is it unpleasant.

‘I suppose I’m about to find out. Well, I’ve always enjoyed seafood. It can’t be too bad, can it? '
-

Last edited:

Verando

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Application Team
Lore Team
Sep 21, 2017
United States

Congratulations! Your application has been approved.

You will now be whitelisted on the server.

Your definitions are taken and transformed from wide sources, but it does show you have researched them. Be sure to actually understand them.

Your character biography goes into details and uses cultural traditions from Korsia, but doesn't mention anything in particular lorewise other than being from Telth. Due to the cultural ties, I will allow this.

A solid application with only a few bumps.

Make sure to take some last peeks at relevant information and guides.

You can use ToB’s Discord for communication and questions! You will find me and other whitelisters there too, ready to teach you the ropes.