Minecraft Username(s): Fabledgala

-

Full UUID for your MineCraft account(s): 5bf96da9-43d1-44fd-b0ab-a4b28c362932

-

What is your age?

-

Have you read the server rules? Yes

-

Do you agree with the server rules? Of course.

-

How did you hear about Tale of Banners? Found it in a google search for such servers.

-

Do you have any previous roleplay experience?
Yes, I used to roleplay quite frequently.

-

Additional Information: Due to my schedule, I will not be the most active player but will endeavor to join at least once a week if not more.

-
Section 2/4 - Terms & Definitions

Please answer these definitions using your own words, the definitions may be researched however not plagiarized (copy-pasted).

What do you define as roleplaying? Roleplaying is assuming the characteristics of your fictional persona in order to collaboratively realize a story with friends or fellow roleplayers.

-

Describe the term ‘powergaming’ in your own words: Powergaming is when a person uses their alt accounts to obtain rewards or achievements that would otherwise take more time and effort to reach with one account. For instance, a player wants a certain position. One of their alternate characters already has a high position, so the player will use one character to give his other persona a position of honor. Now the player has two powerful characters.

-

Describe the term ‘metagaming’ in your own words: Metagaming is the use of OOC information that the character should not know in order to influence IC outcomes.

-

What is a "Mary-Sue" character? An overpowered or overqualified character. Such people can easily ruin the environment for other players because the Mary-Sue will likely be indestructible in battle, witty enough to overpower everyone else, and have no character flaws, making them unrealistic and severely weakening other players by comparison.

-

What does the abbreviation ‘OOC’ mean & when should this be used? "Out of character." It should be used when clarifying terms, pitching ideas, etc. It should be used to plan and inform the roleplayers but not progress the story or immediately influence the characters.

-
Section 3/4 - Character Creation

Here you will create an example character that could exist in the server’s history and lore.

Provide us with an in-game screenshot of your character’s skin.

-

Name: Claire

-

-

Culture: Midland city.

-

Can your character read and write?: She recognizes a select few letters but does not know how to employ them.

-

Story & Biography (please go into detail, we recommend two paragraphs but expect at least one. Please outline character history, personality traits and the things that make your character unique. Have fun with this section!)

Claire may come across as an old spinster to the untrained eye. In fact, it may be a warning of danger or uncleanliness that she lives alone. Even so, she works hard to maintain a helpful reputation. She is the older woman who offers help where she can and has a fountain of street knowledge. That education was not free, costing more than it would to study under the best scholars. Claire knows that she can be most prosperous working with the illegal businesses. She has no desire to help the kingdom in any way. After all, the entire system is corrupt and favors those who have money. In a perverse way, she's striving to reach success so she can live, but in ascertaining that much money, she may also gain a bigger voice if she can couple her money with convincing papers indicating her status. She will become part of the cycle she hates. It is such thoughts that consume Claire's mind and encourage her to continue down her reckless path.

Like many tales, Claire's story began with her parents. Stuck in destitution because of their breeding, the family could do little to live comfortably. Claire started her journey feeling that she would bring justice, but the thrill of power, no matter how pathetically gained, was corrosive. It corrupted her and she changed her tone entirely. No longer concerned with the structure of society as a whole or her suffering neighbors, Claire began to sacrifice and swindle those she knew best in order to grow more powerful. She became a slave to her greed, often modeling her attitude after the Crimson Guild: her people would need to swear their lives to her (or the authority she put in place); Claire also believed that the ability to prove oneself greater than another was the purest form of victory. She modified that the blade, supplemented by blackmail if necessary, was one of the best ways to dominate.

Eventually, Claire joined a group of misers and worked as a charming woman to bring in more money to the group. She believed that she had influence and authority of people's actions. In a fatal blunder, she revealed the group and pinned the blame on the man she was closest to in the group. He was the most plausible option. Before she could feel any remorse, Claire fled from her midland roots and eventually reached the north, where she sought to lead her own group of con artists. She found people who were desperate enough to share her vision and put her favorite in authority. He brought more people into the group until there was a decent number of people with sundry skills.

While Claire was good at starting things, she was not as good at maintaining them, and the group was unofficially disbanded when a heist to recover the diadem that once belonged to Jarl Thorson ended in failure and the members of the organization escaped in different directions, going into temporary hiding. Running, though reserved as a last resort, was not shameful if it could preserve one's own life. This is where we leave Claire, looking for her troupe and fighting for the whims of her pride. On many lonely nights, she dreams of donning her own head with the sought-after jewels of Thorson.

Section 4/4 - Open-ended questions
Please answer at least three of the questions to show how your character would interact with the world. Delete the spares (if applicable). Please include at least one paragraph for each question you answer.

Question 1

You stumble outside into the open air after some heavy drinking in an Oserian tavern. Just before you're about to pass an alleyway, a hooded man rushes out of it and runs for it - seemingly, he has both a blade and some jewellery on him. You take a quick peek in the alleyway to see a feminine figure collapsed on the ground, holding her hands over a bleeding wound in her torso. The thief is about to escape and the woman seems in critical condition. You...

Run after the thief. The girl will likely die. Having a dead girl on my hands won't be any good, but if I catch the thief, then I get the riches he stole. Additionally, there don't seem to be any other witnesses and the girl certainly didn't see me, so there will be no danger of someone seeing me take care of the thief and run--nobody to pursue me.
-

Question 2

You are on your way to the Korsian city of Telth to sell some wares. Upon reaching the front gates you are stopped by the guard. They deny you entry for the time being as the traffic into the city is too high. You are effectively forced to wait in the refugee camp located between the two gates for the time being. The camp is
filled with shopping stalls and refugees sleeping on the floor. How do you spend your time in the camp?

Get to know the other people. They were likely going into the city for business as well, and it would be a wonderful opportunity to network and build business ties. If nothing else, I am spreading awareness about my trade, garnering potential customers. Some people may not be there for good reasons, in which case I can learn how to best conduct myself in order to further my own well-being without attracting unwanted attention or falling into bad business. Anyone who was not detained as I was is a refugee, and I should learn what they are hiding from.
-

Question 3

You've gotten lost and wandered awhile into Drahl lands, eventually finding yourself in Crookmire Swamp, where you decide to settle for the night. Finding a meal to buy for the evening takes some effort, but you do come across an old crone in ragged clothing, who offers to sell you some sea-looking food. She doesn't ask much, but warns you that eating it is 'unpleasant' to outsiders. You...

Ask for clarification. What does she mean by "unpleasant?" Is it spoiled? If it's only unpleasant for outsiders, it's likely something that one builds a tolerance to. It would be important to ask details about the food such as where it came from and what the core ingredients are. I can't help if she lies, but I can take the food and ask around before eating it. If it's dangerous, I can turn around and sell it to someone more ignorant than I was.
-

Question 4

In the midst of battle, you find yourself approaching a wounded enemy soldier. The soldier is on the floor, clearly in terror as they cradle one of the dead. Enemy forces begin to advance in the distance and you know you have to act fast. The soldier then grasps at a cloth and removes it from the dead soldiers pocket. They continue to cry, and starts calling the dead soldier's name in despair. Then the soldier glances up to see you - with your weapon up - but does not care of your approach, continuing to cradle the dead soldier. You…

If I'm in battle, I must have some ulterior motive for working with my allies. I would not submit willingly to the kingdom unless I was working on a con, in which case I would not remain on the battle field long enough to be in any serious danger. With that in mind, I'm not opposed to letting my enemies threaten the kingdom I do not support unless it will make my conditions significantly worse. The soldier may wish to die to end everything and join his friend, but if I let him live, he remains desperate and may grow to feel a debt. He may make a valuable ally.
-

Question 5

You have wandered across a seemingly endless tundra for what has felt like days. A raging snowstorm makes you unable to see more than a few metres ahead. Being almost out of resources, you are delighted to find out that you have stumbled your way to a village. Upon closer inspection you find out it's a Northern village, and the residents are not very friendly towards strangers. What do you do in this dire situation?

Match their behavior. If I am more familiar and predictable, one of many things could happen: the people could feel advantaged and grow careless, leaving an opening for me to take what I need no matter the cost; their behavior could escalate and we would have a messy situation on our hands; least likely, the could feel more comfortable with my presence and find it advantageous to ally themselves with me. It's a risk, but what choice do I have?

Attachments

Last edited:

Verando

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Application Team
Lore Team
Sep 21, 2017
United States

You’re almost there! Your application is pending.

There are only a few things to change for a final decision.

Make the following edits to your application:

1. Your powergaming definition is good in a specific sense, but needs to be expanded upon for roleplay scenarios.

2. Your mary-sue definition is short. Try to touch on specific effects of the mary-sue, such as how they affect people around them.

3. Your character biography fails to use sufficient server lore. We do require the use of at least two items of server lore. One can be a location, and one must be something else such as religion or animals. You can find the lore here. https://taleofbanners.com/forum/categories/official-canon-lore.158/ (Official Canon Lore)

Once that is done, make a comment affirming you have made these changes and your application will be reviewed again as soon as possible.

Good luck!

Sep 13, 2020
The East coast

You’re almost there! Your application is pending.

There are only a few things to change for a final decision.

Make the following edits to your application:

1. Your powergaming definition is good in a specific sense, but needs to be expanded upon for roleplay scenarios.

2. Your mary-sue definition is short. Try to touch on specific effects of the mary-sue, such as how they affect people around them.

3. Your character biography fails to use sufficient server lore. We do require the use of at least two items of server lore. One can be a location, and one must be something else such as religion or animals. You can find the lore here. https://taleofbanners.com/forum/categories/official-canon-lore.158/ (Official Canon Lore)

Once that is done, make a comment affirming you have made these changes and your application will be reviewed again as soon as possible.

Good luck!
I've made the requested changes; looking forward to hearing back from the team!

Verando

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Application Team
Lore Team
Sep 21, 2017
United States

Congratulations! Your application has been approved.

You will now be whitelisted on the server.

Make sure to take some last peeks at relevant information and guides.

You can use ToB’s Discord for communication and questions! You will find me and other whitelisters there too, ready to teach you the ropes.