Maryland, USA
The Tale of Banners Whitelist Application:

Section 1/4 - Out of Character Information

Minecraft Username(s):

- woodpepperson

Full UUID for your MineCraft account(s) (Found here):

- 7b3dbc02-9d2e-4419-905d-6e41f71656c3

What is your age?
(We need to know this as our server has an age restriction)

Have you read the server rules? (Found here)

- Yes

Do you agree with the server rules?
- Yes

How did you hear about Tale of Banners?

- Google search, got server link from PlanetMinecraft

Do you have any previous roleplay experience?
(Please give examples, no experience is acceptable)

- No

Additional Information: (If any)

- N/A

Section 2/4 - Terms & Definitions
Please answer these definitions using your own words, the definitions may be researched however not plagiarized (copy-pasted).

What do you define as roleplaying?

- I define the embodiment of different characters and identities by players within a larger storyline as roleplaying. There are many different forms of roleplaying, including LARPing (live action role play) and online games, such as this server.

Describe the term ‘powergaming’ in your own words:

- 'Powergaming' is a term used to describe a form of manipulation of game mechanics by players of the game. For example, a player's character should not know the mechanics of the game, and therefore should not perform actions that are outside of the realm of possibility within the game.

Describe the term ‘metagaming’ in your own words:

- 'Metagaming' is like powergaming, in that it relies on the OOC player's outside knowledge to manipulate the game and benefit themselves, but metagaming is more focused towards a player's outside knowledge of the storyline or plot of the game that their character would otherwise have no way of knowing.

What is a "Mary-Sue" character?

- The name "Mary-Sue" is given to any character that embodies the "perfect" ideal of a hero, devoid of flaws.

What does the abbreviation ‘OOC’ mean & when should this be used?

- The abbreviation 'OOC' stands for "out of character," which encapsulates all of the actions performed by a player that are outside of the realm of their character's actions. This can include a player breaking character to share their personal thoughts or, in extreme cases, voicing offensive opinions that their character does not share. Players should be able to use 'OOC' if they have an issue with another player or the game, but it should NOT be used to offend or provoke other players or staff.

Section 3/4 - Character Creation
Here you will create an example character that could exist in the server’s history and lore.

Provide us with an in-game screenshot of your character’s skin.

- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ka7KZZojEmyT3LT7Mk5WvIEWrYYjlWOh/view?usp=sharing (WoodpeppersonInGameSkin.png)

Name:

- Saman Thamph

Culture:

- Northerner

Story & Biography (please go into detail, we recommend two paragraphs but expect at least one. Please outline character history, personality traits and the things that make your character unique. Have fun with this section!)

(Please note although the character you apply with can commit illegal or immoral acts you cannot do these things on the server without an Intrigue application. This can be applied for once you are whitelisted) Found here:

https://taleofbanners.com/forum/forums/intrigue-application.119/ (Intrigue Application)

- Saman Thamph, born into the Northern culture, is a young, 19-year-old woman who longs for a life outside of the land that she calls home. As is true for most Northerners, Saman’s upbringing in the cold and unforgiving climate of her home fostered many skills in self-sufficiency and resourcefulness. She was brought up in a modest commoner house, with a mother, father, two sisters, and two brothers. She is aware of her growing responsibilities within her clan, yet she can’t help the feeling that a better life awaits her, away from the Northern land. She feels different from the rest of her clan, but this does not render her a complete outsider within her community. She spends her free time with a group of friends who also share her same interests, but are content with living out their lives in the same way that their parents did.
Her skills in the tasks that make up her daily life are sufficient enough to continue her current living situation and earn an honest living, yet she finds a deep interest in more artistic and philosophical subjects that do not align with the hardened, work-filled way of life that characterizes the Northerners. She loves the music that accompanies the ceremonies performed in her community, relishes in the knowledge obtained by books from merchants of distant lands, and enjoys debates with fellow Northerners about the world and how it operates, below the surface level that most Northerners only feel the need to concern themselves with.

Section 4/4 - Open-ended questions
Please answer at least three of the questions to show how your character would interact with the world. Delete the spares (if applicable). Please include at least one paragraph for each question you answer.

Question 1

You stumble outside into the open air after some heavy drinking in an Oserian tavern. Just before you're about to pass an alleyway, a hooded man rushes out of it and runs for it - seemingly, he has both a blade and some jewellery on him. You take a quick peek in the alleyway to see a feminine figure collapsed on the ground, holding her hands over a bleeding wound in her torso. The thief is about to escape and the woman seems in critical condition. You...

- First, I would try to make as much noise as I can (i.e. screaming, yelling for help) in order to grab the attention of those both inside and outside of the tavern. As I am already intoxicated and therefore largely incapacitated, it would not do me any good to chase after the thief in this state—in addition to the inability to actually run and catch the thief, my drunken state would dull my reflexes if the thief tried to fend me off with the blade in his hand. The best course of action would be for me to use the energy I have towards alerting others in efforts to stop the thief while I rush towards the woman and try to get her help. In addition to alerting others about the thief, I would also try to determine if there is a doctor around who could help. Until a doctor does arrive, I would remove whatever jacket or outerwear I’m wearing to wrap it around the wound and apply pressure in efforts to stop the bleeding. Overall, in this scenario, saving the woman’s life takes priority over the thief and jewelry.

Question 2

You are on your way to the Korsian city of Telth to sell some wares. Upon reaching the front gates you are stopped by the guard. They deny you entry for the time being as the traffic into the city is too high. You are effectively forced to wait in the refugee camp located between the two gates for the time being. The camp is filled with shopping stalls and refugees sleeping on the floor. How do you spend your time in the camp?

- I would definitely spend my time conversing with the other inhabitants in the camp. Though selling wares provides me with a decent flow of income, I also enjoy my occupation for the travelling and interaction with different peoples that encompasses the job. I would of course keep my guard up, in case of any thieves that take advantage of my supply of wares, but I would still remain diplomatic and engaging in my interactions with others. I would also try to take advantage of the shopping stalls in the camp by offering my wares to the shopkeepers and possibly bartering for the goods that they sell.

Question 3

You've gotten lost and wandered awhile into Drahl lands, eventually finding yourself in Crookmire Swamp, where you decide to settle for the night. Finding a meal to buy for the evening takes some effort, but you do come across an old crone in ragged clothing, who offers to sell you some sea-looking food. She doesn't ask much, but warns you that eating it is 'unpleasant' to outsiders. You...

- I would prompt her for more information about the food. I’m not opposed to eating the strange food, but I would want to make sure that the ‘unpleasantness’ of the food does not equate to being deadly if I were to eat it. If she does give me reassuring information about the food, I would most likely purchase it and carefully inspect it before ingesting it. Otherwise, I would opt to go hungry for the night and hope that I can find another source of food in the morning.

Question 4

In the midst of battle, you find yourself approaching a wounded enemy soldier. The soldier is on the floor, clearly in terror as they cradle one of the dead. Enemy forces begin to advance in the distance and you know you have to act fast. The soldier then grasps at a cloth and removes it from the dead soldiers pocket. They continue to cry, and starts calling the dead soldier's name in despair. Then the soldier glances up to see you - with your weapon up - but does not care of your approach, continuing to cradle the dead soldier. You…

- I would leave the enemy soldier alone. Although he is the enemy, he is not posing any threat to me in that moment, and the advancing forces require more attention than a single soldier mourning the loss of another soldier. I would keep my guard up just in case the soldier is faking sadness in order to trap and endanger me, but I would keep my focus on the main goal of defeating the enemy, rather than wasting time on a harmless individual.

Question 5

You have wandered across a seemingly endless tundra for what have felt like days. A raging snowstorm makes you unable to see more than a few metres ahead. Being almost out of resources, you are delighted to find out that you have stumbled your way to a village. Upon closer inspection you find out it's a Northern village, and the residents are not very friendly towards strangers. What do you do in this dire situation?

- I would try to build an accord with the residents of the village by explaining my situation, proving that I am not a threat by putting away any weapons I possess with me, and offering up the little resources I have left in return for a place to stay and possibly something to eat. Knowing that the residents are reserved and not friendly towards strangers, I would not try to stand out and make others aware of my presence, but I would try to scope out someone who appears like they might be willing to help me. If my resources aren’t enough to sway their opinions, I would offer to work for them for a period of time in order to make up for a shelter or food that they could offer me.

Thank you for your consideration of my application! :)

Last edited:

Lena

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Developer
Build Team Leader
Build Team
Sep 27, 2015
The Mariana Trench

Congratulations! Your application has been approved.

You will now be whitelisted on the server.

Your definition of powergaming is a little off but I can see from your application that powergaming would not be an issue. In a roleplay context powergaming can also mean forcing your actions on another player without giving them a chance to react.

Overall a very strong application!

Make sure to take some last peeks at relevant information and guides.

You can use ToB’s Discord for communication and questions! You will find me and other whitelisters there too, ready to teach you the ropes.

Join our server on the 13th of May at 9PM BST for our next event!

Status
Not open for further replies.